|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||190.24 g/mol|
|3D model (Jmol)||Interactive image|
4,4'-Dimethylaminorex (abbreviated as 4,4'-DMAR), sometimes referred to by the street name "Serotoni", is a psychostimulant and entactogen designer drug related to aminorex, 4-methylaminorex and pemoline. It was first detected in the Netherlands in December 2012, and has been sold as a designer drug around Europe since mid-2013.
4,4'-DMAR had been linked to at least 31 deaths in Hungary, Poland and the UK by February 2014, mostly when consumed in combination with other drugs. Nineteen deaths linked to 4,4'-DMAR were reported in Northern Ireland in the same time period.
4,4'-DMAR acts as a potent and balanced serotonin-norepinephrine-dopamine releasing agent (SNDRA), with EC50 values for serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine release of 18.5 nM, 26.9 nM, and 8.6 nM, respectively.
The UK Home Office expressed intent to ban 4,4'-DMAR following advice from the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs and subsequently it became a class A drug on 11 March 2015.
4,4'-DMAR is an Anlage II controlled substance in Germany as of May 2015.
- Brandt, Simon D.; Baumann, Michael H.; Partilla, John S.; Kavanagh, Pierce V.; Power, John D.; Talbot, Brian; Twamley, Brendan; Mahony, Olivia; O'Brien, John; Elliott, Simon P.; Archer, Roland P.; Patrick, Julian; Singh, Kuldip; Dempster, Nicola M.; Cosbey, Simon H. (2014). "Characterization of a novel and potentially lethal designer drug(±)-cis-para-methyl-4-methylaminorex (4,4'-DMAR, or 'Serotoni')". Drug Testing and Analysis. 6 (7-8): 684–695. doi:10.1002/dta.1668. ISSN 1942-7603.
- EMCDDA 2012 Annual report on the state of the drugs problem in Europe
- "Risk Assessment Report of a new psychoactive substance: 4-methyl-5-(4-methylphenyl)-4,5-dihydrooxazol-2-amine (4,4′-dimethylaminorex, 4,4′-DMAR)" (PDF). European Monitoring Centre for Drugs and Drug Addiction (EMCDDA). November 2014.
- Unregulated stimulant drug blamed for 19 deaths, Belfast inquest told. The Guardian, Thursday 5 June 2014
- "Letter to ACMD regarding advice on MT-45 and 4,4'-DMAR". UK Home Office. 26 November 2014. Retrieved 19 February 2015.
- "Circular 003/2015: a change to the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971: control of MT-45 and 4,4'-DMAR". UK Home Office. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Gesetz über den Verkehr mit Betäubungsmitteln (Betäubungsmittelgesetz - BtMG) Anlage II (zu § 1 Abs. 1) (verkehrsfähige, aber nicht verschreibungsfähige Betäubungsmittel)" (in German). Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Cannabinoider föreslås bli klassade som hälsofarlig vara" (in Swedish). Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Látky, o které byl doplněn seznam č. 4 psychotropních látek (příloha č. 4 k nařízení vlády č. 463/2013 Sb.)" (PDF) (in Czech). Ministerstvo zdravotnictví.