Kuhn's Quality Foods
A Pittsburgh Tradition
|Founded||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (1967)|
Joe Dentici, President
As of November 2009, the company owns and operates nine full-service stores and employs more than 800 workers in the greater Pittsburgh area. Still owned by the same family that started the business in 1967, the chain has stores in the neighborhoods of Bellevue, North Side (Highwood), Banksville, McKnight, Moon Twp., Ingomar, Cranberry Twp., Wilkins Twp. (Beulah), Hopewell Twp.(Aliquippa). The company uses SuperValu as its supplier. The company's slogan is "A Pittsburgh Tradition".
From its founding in 1967, the chain grew to five locations by 1992. In 2006, Kuhn's acquired two Shop 'n Save stores from SuperValu. A Kuhn's store left vacant when the former Shop 'N Save stores were acquired was leased in 2009 by Big Lots, a discount retailer. A tenth store was slated to open in the Hill District. Kuhn's Markets spokesman Dan Sakala declined to discuss the development, but Urban Redevelopment Authority spokeswoman in Pittsburgh, Megan Stearman said Joe Dentici, one of the owners, has cancer. Kuhn's Markets has blamed "economic" reasonings as to why it has pulled out of the development. Kuhn's would have been the first grocer in 30 years to be in the region.
Prior to 2009, none of Kuhn's markets were represented by a trade union, but instead by a company-sponsored "Employee Council". Each store has a representative that discusses employee issues such as pay rates, disagreements, and the like.
- Karamagi Rujumba (August 10, 2008). "Two grocers want to open on Hill". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- Kuhnsmarket.com, Location list, Retrieved November 10, 2009
- Zandy Dudiak (August 7, 2008). "Kuhn's to take over Wilkins Foodland". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- "Kuhn's Market Grand Opening". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. April 30, 1992. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- Schooley, Tim (January 24, 2006). "Kuhn's buys two Shop 'n Save stores". Pittsburgh Business Times. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- Mortimer, C.M. (January 25, 2006). "Kuhn's Quality Foods acquires two Shop 'n Save stores". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Kuhn's Quality Foods, Pittsburgh, PA, has acquired two Shop 'N Save stores from Supervalu Inc. Minneapolis. (MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS) (Brief article)". The Food Institute Report. January 30, 2006. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Big Lots to replace Kuhn's on McKnight Road". Pittsburgh Business Times. July 21, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "Business Briefs". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. January 25, 2006. Retrieved November 10, 2009.("Two Shop 'n Save grocery stores in Ross and Cranberry will become Kuhn's Quality Foods stores by next week.")
- "Kuhn's gets deal for Hill grocery". Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. November 14, 2008. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- "Nonunion Grocers Gain Ground in Pittsburgh Area". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. June 6, 2003. Retrieved November 10, 2009.
- "UFCW Local 23 Will Represent Kuhn's Quality Foods Workers at Beulah Road Location". Business Wire. February 9, 2009. Retrieved November 10, 2009.