|Subsidiary of Southeastern Grocers|
|Headquarters||Jacksonville, Florida, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Ian McLeod, President & CEO|
Number of employees
J.H. Harvey Co., LLC is a supermarket chain with stores in Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and North Carolina. The majority of the Harveys stores are between 18,000 and 35,000 square feet (3,300 m2). The company is a subsidiary of Southeastern Grocers, which is headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida
The chain was founded by Joe Harvey in Nashville, Georgia in 1950. Harveys had grown from a total of 22 stores in 1981 to the current 58 stores. Harveys' growth during the 1990s was primarily through acquisitions.
In 2003, Delhaize Group acquired the then 43-store strong Harveys chain for $26.1 million. After the acquisition, Harveys and sister chain Food Lion engaged in a number of synergies: over a dozen Food Lion stores were converted to Harveys; Procurement, supply chain, and back office functions were handled by Food Lion; and while Harveys management is still headquartered in Nashville, Georgia, they answer to Food Lion management in Salisbury, North Carolina.
In May 2006, Harveys announced they would close their warehouse and distribution center in Nashville, Georgia to trim costs and enhance the resources of Food Lion, affecting about 200 employees in the process. Food Lion would support Harveys stores through their own distribution centers in South Carolina and Florida.
BI-LO, LLC acquisition
In July 2016 Southeastern Grocers rebranded a BI-LO location in Charlotte, North Carolina to the Harveys banner. This becomes the first North Carolina location for the Harveys brand. In November 2016, Southeastern Grocers converted 16 Winn-Dixie and BI-LO stores to the Harverys Supermarket banner. These included two BI-LO locations in Augusta, Georgia, two additional Charlotte, North Carolina BI-LO locations, three BI-LO locations in Columbia, South Carolina, and a BI-LO location in Greenwood, South Carolina. An additional seven Winn-Dixie Florida locations were converted with six of them in Jacksonville. 55 other Harveys locations, mainly in Georgia, were upgraded as well.
- Delhaize Official website
- Tampa-based Sweetbay supermarkets sold Tampa Bay Times, May 28, 2013
- Harveys Unveils New Store Concept in Charlotte Progressive Grocer, July 21, 2016
- New value concept sweeps Harveys overnigh Supermarket News, November 17, 2016
- Greenwood opens first Harveys store indexjournal.com, November 17, 2016
- Bi-Lo converts 3 Columbia stores to Harveys Supermarkets The State, November 17, 2016
- BI-LOs in Southgate Plaza and Waynesboro now Harvey’s Supermarkets The Augusta Chronicle, November 17, 2016
- 6 Winn-Dixies converting to Harveys Supermarkets in Jacksonville firstcoastnews.com, November 17, 2016