|Founded||1966 in Hudsonville, Michigan|
|Founder||Ron Kunnen, Don Koop|
|Michigan, North Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa|
The first Family Fare store opened in 1966 in Hudsonville, Michigan. It was founded by Don Koop and Ron Kunnen. By the 1980s, the chain was owned by Spartan Stores (now SpartanNash), and had added locations in Holland, Byron Center, and Lowell.
In 2004, Spartan began consolidating most of its nameplates into two brands: Glen's Markets in northern lower Michigan, and Family Fare in southern lower Michigan. This change rebranded three locations of Prevo's Markets in Grand Rapids (which themselves had previously been known as Daane's) to Family Fare, as well as the Great Day chain, while the rest of the Prevo's became Glen's.
Spartan expanded Family Fare in 2007 when some locations of Felpausch were converted, with others becoming D&W Fresh Market instead. Family Fare began expanding into northern Michigan in 2010 when a Glen's (formerly Ashcraft's) in Midland was converted. Starting in 2013, Spartan converted more Glen's to Family Fare; the conversions finished in 2014 with Frankfort and Sault Ste. Marie. Other locations were rebranded from D&W Fresh Market around the same time, including Rockford and Grandville.
- "Firm conviction: Grocery chain sticks to conservative ways". Sunday: The Magazine for the Lord's Day. Lord's Day Alliance of the U.S. 77-82.
- "Lowell grocery stores open, close, and change" (PDF). The Grand Valley Ledger. p. 1. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- O'Brien, Bill (9 March 2004). "Prevo's to become Glen's Market". Traverse City Record-Eagle. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Wilson, Rick (1 January 2012). "Family Fare Supermarket on Cascade Road to close this weekend". mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "Spartan to Convert Felpausch to D&W, Family Fare". Supermarket News. 6 August 2007. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martin, Bryce (16 October 2010). "Glen's Market to become Family Fare: Name change brings lower prices, new experience". Midland Daily News. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martinez, Shandra (23 May 2013). "Spartan Stores CEO expected to talk about plans to convert 13 Glen's Markets to Family Fare stores". mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martinez, Shandra (7 November 2014). "Glen's Markets disappear as last stores convert to Family Fare Supermarkets". mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martinez, Shandra (26 August 2010). "Grandville D&W to become a Family Fare grocery store". mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martinez, Shandra (22 July 2012). "Why Rockford's upscale D&W Fresh Market is being rebranded budget-friendly Family Fare". Mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Martinez, Shandra (1 November 2014). "SpartanNash expanding Family Fare stores beyond Michigan". mlive.com. Retrieved 25 February 2015.