Great Wall Supermarket
Great Wall Supermarket (Chinese: 大中华超级市场) is a specialized Asian supermarket chain in the U.S., established in New York City in 2004. The chain caters to Asian immigrants, offering Asian products in a Western supermarket-style retail operation. The President, CEO and founder is Lihui Zhang.Great Wall supermarket has 10 stores across the east coast, and it has average approx 30,000-50,000 sf shopping space that be able to carry wide section meat, seafood, grocery and fresh produces. Wide variety of merchandise that allows shoppers to complete grocery shopping under one roof.In march 2016, Great Wall Supermarket e-commerce site was Established.GWMARTS.COM (Chinese: 中华易购)
- Atlanta (Duluth), 2300 Pleasant Hill Rd
- New York
- Falls Church 2982 Gallows Rd
In 2011, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries staff conducted a sting of the Great Wall Supermarket in Falls Church, VA and found the store in violation of several local wildlife laws, due to the sale of live animals, including frogs, turtles, eels, largemouth bass, and crayfish. The sting resulted from a complaint from a conservationist. Two managers of the store were charged with felonies in 2012, later reduced to misdemeanors. Great Wall lawyers argued that the wildlife charges did not apply because all of the creatures on sale were commercially farmed: turtles from Oklahoma, eels from Pennsylvania, bullfrogs from the Dominican Republic, and so forth. The defense claimed that "law governing sales of live fish and other animals has not been updated to reflect advances in aquaculture, and that it is tilted against immigrants with unfamiliar cuisines and customs."
Starting in 2012, residents behind the Rockville store began submitting noise complaints to the Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection. As of June 1, 2015, Great Wall Supermarket has two active ongoing cases, and has paid multiple fines as punishment for disturbing the peace and quiet of the adjoining neighborhood. "Maryland Judicial Case Search". Maryland Court System. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
In popular culture
- A Great Wall store appears as a location in the TV series, Constantine ("A Feast of Friends," Season 1, Episode 4)
- "Great Wall Supermarket: Profile". Great Wall Group. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- ZoomInfo (12 December 2010). "Mr. Lihui Zhang". ZoomInfo. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Jouvenal, Justin (2012-03-27). "Food fight develops in Va. over sale of live animals". Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-10-22.
- Emery, Theo (19 April 2012). "As Asians Flock to Northern Virginia, Laws and Palates Collide". New York Times. Retrieved 15 November 2014.