Seven Mile Market
|Headquarters||201 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, Maryland, United States|
Seven Mile Market is the largest kosher supermarket in the United States. The store, which is located in Pikesville, Maryland, was established in 1988, and has been in its current location since November 16, 2010. The store, which is under the kashrut supervision of the Star-K, also includes a pharmacy, a floral department, and a glasses store.
Seven Mile Market first opened in 1988, marketing to the 100,000 in Baltimore's Jewish community. Its name comes from Seven Mile Lane, where it was originally located. The owner previously had a small store called Jack's.
The store has capitalized on a market for kosher food that has grown during the 2000s, as many consumers, including those who do not keep kosher, consider the food to be more sanitary.
In 2002, Seven Mile Market was sued by a wheelchair user for failure to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act Title III. The case was settled out of court.
In 2010, the establishment moved into a former Safeway store on Reisterstown Road adjacent to its former location. At 55,000 square feet (5,100 m2), this nearly doubled its prior amount of space, and made it the largest kosher supermarket in America. The Safeway once housed a kosher delicatessen, but that operation closed, and it was believed to be due to its inability to compete with Seven Mile Market. The previous largest kosher supermarket was Rockland Kosher in Monsey, New York, which has 45,000 square feet (4,200 m2) of retail space.
- Laura Vozzella (November 16, 2010). "'Nation's largest' kosher market opens in Pikesville". Baltimore Sun.
- "Md. kosher market to become U.S. biggest". UPI NewsTrack Business. March 4, 2010.
- Rochelle Eisenberg (November 19, 2010). "Seven Mile Market Reopens In New Venue". Baltimore Jewish Times.
- Eli W. Schlossberg. "Recollections and Reflections, A Nostalgic Glimpse at Baltimore: 1955 to 2007". Where What When. Retrieved June 2007. Check date values in:
- Staff (August 3, 2002). "Legal Briefs". Daily Record, The (Baltimore).
- Baltimore Jewish Times http://www.jewishtimes.com/index.php/jewishtimes/news/jt/local_news/seven_mile_to_take_over_safeway/. Missing or empty