List of Ecuadorian dishes and foods
This is a list of Ecuadorian dishes and foods. Ecuadorian cuisine, the cuisine of Ecuador, is diverse, varying with altitude, and associated agricultural conditions. Pork, chicken, beef, and cuy (guinea pig) are popular in the mountainous regions, and are served with a variety of carbohydrate-rich foods, especially rice, corn, and potatoes. A popular street food in mountainous regions is hornado (roasted pig), which is often served with llapingacho (a pan seared potato ball). Some examples of Ecuadorian cuisine in general include patacones (unripe plantains fried in oil, mashed up, and then refried), llapingachos, and seco de chivo (a type of stew made from goat). A wide variety of fresh fruit is available, particularly at lower altitudes, including granadilla, passionfruit, naranjilla, several types of bananas, uvilla, taxo, and tree tomato
Ecuadorian dishes and foods
- Chugchucaras – a local delicacy of Latacunga, Ecuador, and the surrounding area prepared with deep fried pork and several other ingredients
- Ecuador maize varieties – Maize is cropped almost everywhere in Ecuador, with the exception of the Altiplano, the cold desert highlands 3000 meters above sea level.
- Encebollado – a fish stew from Ecuador, regarded as a national dish.
- Guinea pig
- Ilex guayusa
- Panela – unrefined whole cane sugar
- Plantain soup – Caldo de bolas de verde (green plantain dumpling soup) is from coastal Ecuador
- Sofrito – referred to as ajito in Ecuador, and it is made of Spanish onions, cubanelle peppers, fresh tomatoes, roasted garlic, cilantro and ground toasted cumin
- Lechon (Suckling pig)
- T'anta wawa
- Uchu Jacu
- Canelazo – a hot alcoholic beverage consumed in the Andean highlands of Ecuador, Colombia, and Peru
- Colada morada
- Fioravanti – a fruit-flavored, carbonated soft drink first sold in 1878 in Ecuador
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cuisine of Ecuador.|
- Ecuador in Focus. pp. 63–64.
- Martin, Herrera (7 October 2007). "El encebollado, un plato que evolucionó con los marineros españoles de antaño". Gastronomia Peru. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Encebollado de pescado". Retrieved 13 November 2014.
- "Historia del sabor guayaco". Historia del sabor guayaco. Retrieved 13 November 2014.