(1891-07-23)23 July 1891|
Bad Goisern, Upper Austria, Austria-Hungary
21 January 1943(1943-01-21) (aged 51)|
north of Stalingrad, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
Austria-Hungary (to 1918)|
First Austrian Republic (to 1938)
|Years of service||1914–43|
|Rank||General der Infanterie (posthumously promoted)|
|Commands held||385. Infanterie Division|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords|
Karl Franz Eibl (23 July 1891 – 21 January 1943) was a German general during World War II and recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords, which was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Eibl was killed north-west of Stalingrad on the 21st of January 1943, when Italian soldiers mistook his command vehicle for a Soviet armored car and blew it up with hand grenades.
- Austro-Hungarian Empire and Austrian Republic
- Military Merit Cross, 3rd Class with War Decoration
- Military Merit Medals in Silver and Bronze
- Karl Troop Cross
- Wound Medal (Austria-Hungary)
- Order of the Iron Crown, 3rd Class with War Decoration and Swords
- Nazi Germany
- Sudetenland Medal
- Eastern Front Medal
- Infantry Assault Badge
- Wound Badge (1939) in Black
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class (23 September 1939) & 1st Class (5 November 1939)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Berger, Florian (1999). Mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern. Die höchstdekorierten Soldaten des Zweiten Weltkrieges [With Oak Leaves and Swords. The Highest Decorated Soldiers of the Second World War] (in German). Vienna, Austria: Selbstverlag Florian Berger. ISBN 978-3-9501307-0-6.
- Mitcham, Samuel W. (2007). Rommel's Desert Commanders — The Men Who Served the Desert Fox, North Africa, 1941–42. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3510-9.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.