15 June 1918|
18 November 1990 72) (aged|
Nazi Germany (to 1945)|
|Years of service||
Hauptmann of the Reserves (Wehrmacht)|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves|
Alfred Montag (15 June 1918 – 18 November 1990) was a highly decorated Hauptmann of the Reserves in the Wehrmacht during World War II who was one of 882 recipients who were awarded the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and its higher grade Oak Leaves was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1939)
- Eastern Front Medal (8 August 1942)
- Wound Badge (1939)
- General Assault Badge
- Honour Roll Clasp of the Army (19 January 1944)
- German Cross in Gold on 3 August 1943 as Oberleutnant in the 2./Sturmgeschütz-Abteilung 909
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- The nomination was received by the Heerespersonalamt (HPA—Army Staff Office) from the troop on 28 April 1945 and approved by the Corps and by the OB West. Missing is a statement by the Army and by the Army Group (Heeresruppe). Major Joachim Domaschk decided "Oak Leaves yes" but deferred. Heeresgruppe B—the Sturmgeschütz-Brigade had already surrendered together with the Heeresgruppe B in the Ruhr Pocket. The nomination was therefore left unfinished according to AHA 44 Ziff. 572. The nomination list of the higher grade of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves confirms the entry of 28 March 1945. Noted here is a comment indicating "deferred". A formal presentation has not happened. The sequential number "868" was assigned by the Association of Knight's Cross Recipients (AKCR). The presentation date was assigned by Fellgiebel. Alfred Montag was a member of the AKCR.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000) . Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Kurowski, Franz (2004). Panzer Aces II: Battle Stories of German Tank Commanders of WW II. Mechanicsburg PA: StackPole Books. ISBN 0-8117-3175-8.
- Patzwall, Klaus D.; Scherzer, Veit (2001). Das Deutsche Kreuz 1941 – 1945 Geschichte und Inhaber Band II [The German Cross 1941 – 1945 History and Recipients Volume 2] (in German). Norderstedt, Germany: Verlag Klaus D. Patzwall. ISBN 978-3-931533-45-8.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- Thomas, Franz; Wegmann, Günter (1985). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Deutschen Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Teil I: Sturmartillerie [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the German Wehrmacht 1939–1945 Part I: Assault Artillery] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-1447-2.
- Thomas, Franz (1997). Die Eichenlaubträger 1939–1945 Band 1: A–K [The Oak Leaves Bearers 1939–1945 Volume 1: A–K] (in German). Osnabrück, Germany: Biblio-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-7648-2299-6.
Hauptmann Reinhold Ertel
|Commander of Sturmgeschütz-Brigade 341
27 January 1945 – 8 May 1945
| Succeeded by|