Born: 1980 (age 35–36)|
Matthew Klentak (born 1980) is an American baseball front office executive who serves as the general manager of the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously served as the assistant general manager of MLB's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Klentak attended Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, Massachusetts where he earned three varsity letters in baseball. He then attended Dartmouth College, where he played college baseball for the Dartmouth Big Green in all four years, starting at shortstop for three years, and serving as the team captain in his senior year. Bob Whalen, Dartmouth's head coach, moved Ed Lucas from shortstop to third base so that Klentak could play as the shortstop. Klentak graduated from Dartmouth in 2002 with a bachelor's degree in economics.
Klentak worked for the Colorado Rockies in their Baseball Operations department during the 2003 season. He then worked in Major League Baseball's Labor Relations Department for four years. He worked with Andy MacPhail, then the team president of the Baltimore Orioles, while working on the 2006 Collective Bargaining Agreement. In 2008, MacPhail hired Klentak as Director of Baseball Operations. After the 2011 season, the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim hired Klentak as their assistant general manager. When Jerry Dipoto, the Angels' general manager, resigned during the 2015 season, Klentak was interviewed for the position. The Angels hired Billy Eppler.
The Philadelphia Phillies, led by MacPhail as their president, interviewed Klentak for their general manager position after the 2015 season. The Phillies hired Klentak as their general manager, introducing him at a press conference on October 26, 2015.
- "Klentak '02 Named as Director of Baseball Operations for the Baltimore Orioles". DartmouthSports.com. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Phils' new GM comes highly recommended". Philly.com. October 26, 2015. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- "Sports Now". latimes.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Klentak leaves Orioles to become Angels assistant GM". tribunedigital-baltimoresun. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- "Servais, Klentak offer unique expertise". Major League Baseball. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Moura, Pedro (October 4, 2015). "ANGELS: Eppler named new GM". Press Enterprise. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- "Phillies' GM search down to 3 finalists, could end soon". Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- "From Oriole Road to Orioles front office". Boston.com. Retrieved October 5, 2015.
- Smith, Marcia C. (November 4, 2012). "Klentak wants to build a champion at Angel Stadium". Orange County Register. Retrieved October 26, 2015.
- Career statistics and player information from The Baseball Cube
- Matt Klentak Interview interview from 2006