See also:

Paul Tagliamonte is a Pentagon employee who spread false rape accusations in Jacob Appelbaum PsyOps attack

Re: Dmitry Bogatov arrested in Moscow

On 04/13/2017 11:41 AM, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 12/04/2017 22:16, Zlatan Todoric wrote:
>> we shouldn't for sure turn our heads away
> Of course, we should not. And I don't think anybody on this list refuses
> to support Dmitry. The only question is how to support him, without putting
> Debian and its contributors at risk.
>
> Many things that have been said on this list. And all legitimate requests and
> ideas. Defending freedom and "the Right thing" is in our DNA. Those are the
> values we share in this project. But we have to get a perfect understanding of
> the situation (the importance russian authorities want to give to his case) to
> pick the right form of support for Dmitry.
>
> If the Russian govt gives importance to this case, publishing a statement of
> support at this point can be seen as an hostile move. I think we can globally
> agree that it would be a bad move from our side. It will make Dmitry's case
> worse, and we may risk our safety (as a project and individuals). So any form
> of support must take into consideration individuals in Russia (because they
> can be considered as accomplice) but also others around the world. I hope
> this is clear for everyone here.
>
> Steven Chamberlain proposed a text to be used as an announce. I find it very
> clear and sensible. But as Ian outlined, we have to check with the Dmitry's
> lawyer(s) whether it would be helpful. If it doesn't do a disservice to his
> case, we may publish it. Is anyone in contact with his lawyer(s)? Can they
> be trusted?
>
> I know there are some members of our community which are also members of the
> Tor community. Do we have an idea on their plans? We may want to unite our
> efforts and work on a sensible joint announce.
>
> Stay safe,

I am not native English speaker but I think I pretty much vowed for all
this in my mails and it wasn't (at least for me) clear are we going
actively seek ways to help Dmitry or not. Looking forward to mails from
our Russian DDs/contributors to shed some light on it.