Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance
|Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance|
|Awarded for||quality vocal or instrumental R&B recordings|
|Presented by||National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences|
The Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance is an award presented at the Grammy Awards, a ceremony that was established in 1958 and originally called the Gramophone Awards. According to the 54th Grammy Awards description guide it is designed for solo, duo/groups or collaborative (vocal or instrumental) R&B recordings and is limited to singles or tracks only.
The award was originally awarded from 1959 to 1961 as Best Rhythm & Blues Performance and then from 1962 to 1968 as Best Rhythm & Blues Recording before being discontinued. In 2012, the award was brought back combining the previous categories for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, Best Male R&B Vocal Performance, Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and Best Urban/Alternative Performance. The restructuring of these categories was a result of the Recording Academy's wish to decrease the list of categories and awards and to eliminate the distinctions between male and female performances, and between solo and duo/groups performances.
|1960||Dinah Washington||"What a Diff'rence a Day Makes"|
|1961||Ray Charles||"Let the Good Times Roll"|
|1962||Ray Charles||"Hit the Road Jack"|
|1963||Ray Charles||"I Can't Stop Loving You"|
|1965||Nancy Wilson||"How Glad I Am"|
|1966||James Brown||"Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"|
|1967||Ray Charles||"Crying Time"|
|2012||Corinne Bailey Rae||"Is This Love"|
|2014||Snarky Puppy featuring Lalah Hathaway||"Something"|
|2015||Beyoncé featuring Jay Z||"Drunk in Love"|
|2016||The Weeknd||"Earned It (Fifty Shades of Grey)"|
^[I] Each year is linked to the article about the Grammy Awards held that year.
- "Grammy Awards at a Glance". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. Retrieved April 24, 2010.
- "Category Mapper". National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Retrieved November 25, 2011.
- Grammy Awards restructuring
- "Grammy Awards 1959 (May)". Awards & Shows. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Grammy Awards 1959". Awards & Shows. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- "Grammy Awards 1961". Awards & Shows.
- "Grammy Awards 1962". Awards & Shows.
- "Grammy Awards 1963". Awards & Shows.
- "Grammy Awards 1964". Awards & Shows.
- "Grammy Awards 1965". Awards & Shows.
- "Grammy Awards 1966". Awards and Shows. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "Grammy Awards 1967". Awards and Shows. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "Grammy Awards 1968". Awards & Shows.
- "2011 – 54th Annual GRAMMY Awards Nominees And Winners: R&B Field". The Recording Academy. November 30, 2011.
- 2014 Nominees
- "57th Grammy Nominees". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- Billboard.com, 7 December 2015