See also:

FSFE is misusing FSF name to steal donations from Richard Stallman

Re: Dmitry Bogatov arrested in Moscow

Excerpts from Zlatan Todoric's message of 2017-04-12 18:58:07 +0200:

> On 04/12/2017 04:32 PM, Al Nikolov wrote:
> > В Ср, 12/04/2017 в 15:13 +0200, Jérémy Bobbio пишет:
> >
> >> Are you saying Debian members should not try to contact his lawyer to
> >> learn more about the case and their defense strategy? And ask them if
> >> they think there's something we can to do help?
> > Lawyers won't share any significant details to bystanders more than they
> > do for the press.
> >
> > This post and some links in it is basically all my source of information
> > (in Russian):
> >
> > https://www.openrussia.org/notes/708374/
> >
> > No, it's by no means authoritative. Yes, I believe the analysis:
> >
> > Someone has been making posts, quite extreme to my taste, apparently
> > using Tor, before and after Dmitry's arrest and seizure, using the same
> > account on sysadmins.ru forum, from multiple different IP addresses. One
> > of the addresses found to be conveniently located in Moscow. Dmitry has
> > an alibi at least in regards to many these posts (doing shopping,
> > sitting in jail). That's it.
> >
> > Because I lived in that country for 40 years, I also believe in 1)
> > incompetence of the investigator, who doesn't even know the formal law
> > and fails to make up accusations serious enough to request an arrest
> > until the trial; 2) skewed investigator, who turns the Tor relay
> > maintained by Dmitry into an additional evidence of his malicious
> > intentions; 3) corrupted investigator and court, who serve the needs of
> > the regime currently facing mass protests.
> >
> > Under these circumstances, shall Debian hold neutrality in politics, it
> > should not make any public statements but just to mention Dmitry's
> > objective situation (imprisoned under investigation) and may be send him
> > a word of moral support in private (if my beliefs above make sense).
> >
> > I'd back up Martin on that: Debian can do nothing real for Dmitry.
> Debian, if it wants, can do a lot for him. We can do public exposure (if
> needed but we need to consult his defense), we can privately engage in
> many forms (funds, reaching contacts etc). Government wants to use fear
> and force to shut people down, to makes us think we can't do - and if we
> think like that we already failed. With that attitude there would be no
> American or French revolution, there would be no women or worker rights
> and there would still be the god-given kings and slavery and who knows
> what else.

We are all individuals. We can speak out with our voices without using
Debian's voice. If you know Dmitry and you believe he is being treated
unfairly, tell a reporter everything you know. If you don't know Dmitry,
but you want to help, speak out against oppression and point to Dmitry's
situation as a case.

The only debate is whether or not Debian as an org should do something.
We are all free people and we can and should speak out against injustice.

Is there somewhere online where Dmitry's case is discussed in the open?
Perhaps we can, as individuals, lend our voices there, rather than in
this private list.