World Nomad Games
World Nomad Games (Kyrgyz: Дүйнөлүк көчмөндөр оюндары, Russian: Всемирные игры кочевников) are an international sport competition dedicated to ethnic sports practiced in Central Asia. The main countries taking part in those games are the former Soviet republics of Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and Russia (especially Sakha, Buryatia, Altay, Kalmykia, Bashkortostan republics, etc.) as well as other countries like Mongolia, Turkey, and Afghanistan. The first two World Nomad Games were held in Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan.
Sports and disciplines (2014 Worldwide Games)
- Alysh (Kyrgyz: Алыш), a kind of belt wrestling,
- Salburun (Kyrgyz: Салбурун), a sport mixing falconry, mounted archery and hunt assisted by Taigan,
- Horse racing (At Chabysh), (Kyrgyz: Ат чабыш),
- Er enish, (Kyrgyz: Эр эңиш),
- Toguz korgool, (Kyrgyz: Тогуз коргоол),
- Kok-boru, a sport similar to Buzkashi, where riders fight for a goat carcass. (Kyrgyz: Көк бөрү),
A cultural program
The Games are surrounded by a cultural and ethnical program. During the first edition of the Games, a yurt village was installed, and cultural events not linked with the Games' disciplines occurred, as well as other entertaining activities.
List of past and future Games
- From 9 to 14 September 2014: Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan. While organising the first edition of the Games, the Kyrgyz government spent more than 3 million dollars. More than 400 athletes from 20 countries took part in the event.
- From 3rd to 8th of September 2016: Cholpon-Ata, Kyrgyzstan. The program of the II World Nomad Games includes 23 kinds of ethnosport. 40 countries participated in this games.
- CBS Sports on The World Nomad Games http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/look-the-world-nomad-games-are-a-crazier-cooler-version-of-the-olympics/
- The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2016/sep/09/the-world-nomad-games-in-pictures
- DW News http://www.dw.com/en/like-the-olympics-including-genghis-khan/av-19529698
- Arctic Winter Games
- Central Asian Games
- Article dedicated to Kyrgyz Government's expenses on ia-centr.ru (in Russian), 2 September 2014
- "Nomads showcase 'girl chasing' game in Kyrgyzstan". BBC. 12 September 2014.
- (Russian)Indigenous of Australian aborigenes and America invited to the 2nd edition of the World Nomad Games, Sputnik, 5 march 2016.
- Kazakh press article dedicated to Worldwide Nomad Games, in Russian
- "About the Games". worldnomadgames.com. Retrieved 2016-09-03.
- "World Nomad Games opening ceremony 2016". EuroNews.
- Walker, Shaun (4 September 2016). "Welcome to the World Nomad Games: 'If Genghis Khan was alive, he'd be here'". The Guardian.
- Official website of the 2014 Games (in English and Russian)
- Official promotional video, 2016 games, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Official Youtube channel
- Official website of the 2016 Games http://worldnomadgames.com/en/