USS Bingham (APA-225)
|Name:||USS Bingham (APA-225)|
|Laid down:||22 September 1944|
|Launched:||20 November 1944|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs John V. Harrell|
|Acquired:||23 December 1944|
|Commissioned:||23 December 1944|
|Decommissioned:||17 June 1946|
|Struck:||3 July 1946|
|One battle star for World War II|
|Fate:||Scrapped, 1 September 1983|
|Class and type:||Haskell-class attack transport|
|Tonnage:||150,000 cu. ft, 2,900 tons|
|Displacement:||6,720 tons (lt), 14,837 t. (fl)|
|Propulsion:||1 x Westinghouse geared turbine, 2 x Babcock & Wilcox header-type boilers, 1 x propeller, designed shaft horsepower 8,500|
|Boats & landing |
|2 x LCM, 12 x LCVP, 3 x LCPU|
|Capacity:||86 Officers 1,475 Enlisted|
|Crew:||56 Officers, 480 enlisted|
|Armament:||1 x 5"/38 caliber dual-purpose gun mount, 1 x quad 40mm gun mount, 4 x twin 40mm gun mounts, 10 x single 20mm gun mounts|
|Notes:||MCV Hull No. 573, hull type VC2-S-AP5|
Bingham was named after a county in Idaho. She was launched 20 November 1944 by Permanente Metals Corporation, Yard No. 1, Richmond, California, under a Maritime Commission contract, then transferred to the Navy 23 December 1944 and commissioned the same day, Captain L. F. Brown, USNR, in command.
From 1 March to 22 September 1945 Bingham carried and cargo in the Marianas, with one voyage to Okinawa (20–30 June). She then shifted to Operation Magic Carpet runs, returning servicemen from the Philippines to San Francisco (25 September 1945-31 March 1946).
Decommissioned 17 June 1946 at Norfolk, Virginia, Bingham was returned to the Maritime Commission the next day, and struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 3 July whereupon she was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at James River, Fort Eustis.
On 1 January 1968, she was redesignated LPA-225. In May 1975, her title was transferred from the Navy to the Maritime Administration, which sold her for scrap on 1 September 1983. She was broken up in Spain c. 1983-84.
Bingham received one battle star for her operations off Okinawa.