USS Dane (APA-238)
|Name:||USS Dane (APA-238)|
|Namesake:||A county in Wisconsin|
|Launched:||9 August 1945|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs D. A. Button|
|Acquired:||29 October 1945|
|Commissioned:||29 October 1945|
|Decommissioned:||20 December 1946|
|Struck:||17 August 1958?|
|Fate:||Disposed of by MARAD; fate unknown|
|Class and type:||Haskell-class attack transport|
|Tonnage:||150,000 cu. ft, 2,900 tons|
|Displacement:||6,720 tons (lt), 14,837 t. (fl)|
|Propulsion:||1 x Joshua Hendy geared turbine, 2 x Babcock & Wilcox header-type boilers, 1 x propeller, designed shaft horsepower 8,500|
|Boats & landing |
|2 x LCM, 12 x LCVP, 3 x LCPU|
|Capacity:||86 Officers 1,475 Enlisted|
|Crew:||56 Officers, 480 enlisted|
|Armament:||1 x 5"/38 caliber dual-purpose gun mount, 1 x quad 40mm gun mount, 4 x twin 40mm gun mounts, 10 x single 20mm gun mounts|
|Notes:||MCV Hull No. ?, hull type VC2-S-AP5|
Dane was named after a county in Wisconsin. She was launched on 9 August 1945 by Oregon Shipbuilding of Portland, Oregon, under a Maritime Commission contract; transferred to the Navy 29 October 1945; and commissioned the same day, Captain D. K. Day in command.
Dane arrived too late too see action in World War II, but she arrived in time to participate in Operation Magic Carpet, the massive sealift made shortly after the war to bring returning servicemen home.
She remained at San Francisco until placed out of commission 20 December 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration 17 August 1958, which disposed of her some time thereafter. Her final disposition is unknown.