19 March 2008|
|Occupation||Composer, musician, author|
Samin Baghtcheban was born in 1925 in Tabriz to an Azeri family, and grew up in Shiraz and Tehran, where his father established the first modern kindergartens and schools for the deaf in Iran. His father, Jabbar Baghtcheban, was a leading Iranian educator and pioneer of Persian cued speech.
In 1944 Samin Baghtcheban was awarded a scholarship to study music composition in Ankara State Conservatory. He returned to Iran in 1949 and started teaching in Music Conservatory of Tehran.
Throughout his career he composed numerous pieces based on Iranian folklore or mythology. His most popular work is Rangin Kamoon (Rainbow), a collection of symphonic and choral tunes for children.
Between 1948 and 1979, in addition to his composition activities, he wrote and translated several books and articles. Baghtcheban translated several books by Turkish authors Nazim Hikmet, Yaşar Kemal and introduced the humorist Aziz Nesin to Iranians.
In 1963, along with a group of prominent teachers and educators, including Lily Ahi, Touran Mirhadi and Abbas Yamini Sharif, Baghtcheban confounded the Children's Book Council (CBC) of Iran. The council is an NGO focused on developing and promoting children's literature in Iran.
- Samin Baghtchehban. Snapshots from My Father (چهره هایی از پدرم) (in Persian). ISBN 964-341-209-1.
- "Opera singer Evelyn Baghcheban dies in Istanbul". Tehran Times. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- ثمین باغچه بان درگذشت (in Persian). BBC Persian. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Norouz is not coming!" (in Persian). Harmonytalk music magazine. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Children VII. Children's Literature". http://www.iranicaonline.org. 17 October 2011. p. Vol. V, Fasc. 4, pp. 417–423. Retrieved 22 August 2015. External link in
- (Persian) My brother Samin (برادرم ثمین), a multimedia presentation on Baghtchehban's life, Jadid online
- Samin Baghtcheban passed away ثمین باغچه بان درگذشت, BBC Persian
- Rangin Kamoon was our childhood...In memory of Samin Baghtcheban رنگین کمان کودکی ما بود...؛ به یاد ثمین باغچه بان, Obituary in BBC Persian
- (Persian) Book review of Baghtcheban's Snapshots from My Father نقدي بر کتاب چهره هايي از پدرم
- (Persian) Norouz is coming... نوروز تو راهه..., Article on Rangin Kamoon album
- Rangin Kamoon (رنگین کمان), A small tribute to Rangin Kamoon Album