Bob R. Simpson
|Bob R. Simpson|
|Born||Texas, United States|
|Occupation||Business executive, Major League Baseball owner|
In 1985, Simpson founded Cross Timbers Oil Company and has served as Chairman of the Board since July 1, 1996. In 2001, the name of the company was changed to XTO Energy. In 2009 XTO Energy was ranked 325th on the Forbes Global 2000. In December 2009, ExxonMobil announced a proposal to acquire XTO Energy for $41 billion. The merger was completed in June 2010.
In August 2010, Simpson and another Texas oil magnate, Ray Davis, served as co-lead investors in the $593 million winning bid to take the Texas Rangers baseball team out of bankruptcy. Simpson and Davis initially remained in the background, leaving the Rangers in the hands of managing partner and CEO Chuck Greenberg and President Nolan Ryan. They served largely as senior consultants, an arrangement that continued after Greenberg resigned in 2011, making Ryan the undisputed day-to-day head of the franchise.
In October 2010, the Texas Rangers played in the World Series for the first time in franchise history, but lost the series to the San Francisco Giants. In October 2011, the team again reached the World Series, but lost again, this time to the St. Louis Cardinals. Ryan left the ownership group in 2013, but Davis and Simpson have mostly left the Rangers in the hands of former General Manager and now team President Jon Daniels and have rarely interfered.
In 2012, Simpson, along with his wife Janice, started a record label for emerging musicians named RayLynn Records. Hear Me, the debut album from up and coming rock musician Kyle Sherman, was the first recording produced by the company.
- "Profile - Bob R. Simpson". Forbes. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Exxon Mobil to buy XTO Energy in $43 billion deal". marketwatch.com. 2009-12-14. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Exxon-XTO Energy Merger Completed". istockanalyst.com. Jun 29, 2010. Retrieved 2011-10-14.
- "Rangers exit bankruptcy after Greenberg-Ryan bid is approved". mlb.com. 6 August 2010. Retrieved Oct 14, 2011.
- "Davis, Simpson to continue as low-key counsel - Board co-chairmen's roles will remain behind the scenes". mlb.com. March 11, 2011. Retrieved Oct 14, 2011.
- "Rangers Beat Yankees, 6-1, to Advance to World Series for First Time". mlb.com. October 22, 2010. Retrieved Oct 14, 2011.
- "Rangers Lose Game 7 To Cardinals: World Series Defeats End Consecutive Texas Seasons". huffingtonpost.com. 2011-10-29. Retrieved Oct 29, 2011.
- "CEO Compensation #10 Bob R Simpson". www.forbes.com. 2008-04-30. Retrieved Oct 14, 2011.
- "2010 Distinguished Alumni Award Recipients Named". Baylor Alumni Association. Retrieved Oct 14, 2011.
- "Music News, September 2012: RAYLYNN RECORDS UNVEILS POP ARTIST KYLE SHERMAN FOR ALBUM DEBUT HEAR ME ON OCTOBER 9, 2012". Jesusfreakhideout.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Hear Me by Kyle Sherman | CD Reviews And Information". NewReleaseTuesday.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Hear Me - Kyle Sherman | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Time. "Hear Me: Kyle Sherman". Christianbook.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "Music News, February 2013: WORSHIP ARTIST KYLE SHERMAN JOINS FRANCESCA BATTISTELLI'S HUNDRED MORE YEARS TOUR FEATURING THE AFTERS AND THE OUTCOME". Jesusfreakhideout.com. 2013-02-21. Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- Lindsay Williams, Crosswalk.com Contributing Writer (2013-03-18). "Hear Me Won't Be Ignored - Christian Music Reviews, Interviews, News". Crosswalk.com. Retrieved 2014-04-08.