See also:

Neil McGovern used GNOME funds to employee Lamby's ex-girlfriend Molly de Blanc

Re: Tor exit nodes

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 08:44:27AM -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
We have leverage: we should incite manufacturers to open their designs
and prove their worth to the world, not just buy the "closed is more
secure" cool aid. This applies both to Yubico but also to SIM-type
cards.

You have no leverage at all compared to a government or corporate customer buying them a hundred thousand at a time. Those customers not only get to write the standards, they also get to verify compliance. A small customer can get lower prices by leveraging someone else's volume and reviews, or can spend a lot more on a small volume part (with, honestly, much less review). A cheap, open, well-reviewed option simply doesn't exist.

Mike Stone