The Weather Company
|Headquarters||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Parent||IBM (since January 2016)|
The Weather Company is a weather forecasting and information technology company that owns and operates weather.com, Intellicast.com, and Weather Underground. The Weather Company is a subsidiary of the Data and Analytics Platform business unit of IBM.
History and operations
The Weather Company was previously owned by a consortium made up of The Blackstone Group, Bain Capital, and NBCUniversal. That consortium sold The Weather Company's product and technology assets to IBM on January 29, 2016, but retained possession of The Weather Channel cable network. As part of the purchase, the Bain/Blackstone/NBCUniversal consortium entered into a long-term licensing agreement with IBM for use of its weather data and "The Weather Channel" name and branding.
- Staff (undated). "Locations". The Weather Company. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Press release (29 January 2016). "IBM Closes Deal to Acquire The Weather Company's Product and Technology Businesses". The Weather Company. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Hardy, Quentin (28 October 2015). "IBM to Acquire the Weather Company". The New York Times. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Cao, Jing (28 October 2015). "IBM Agrees to Acquire Weather Channel's Digital Assets". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- Littleton, Cynthia (28 October 2015). "Storms Are In, Reality Shows Out as Weather Channel Gets Back to Basics". Variety. Retrieved 22 July 2016.