State Border Service (Azerbaijan)
|Azərbaycan Respublikası Dövlət Sərhəd Xidməti|
Banner of the State Border Service of Azerbaijan
|Formed||July 31, 2002|
The State Border Service of Azerbaijan Republic (Azerbaijani: Azərbaycan Respublikası Dövlət Sərhəd Xidməti) also known as Border Guard of Azerbaijan is a governmental law enforcement agency in charge of protecting the borders of Azerbaijan.
The State Border Service of Azerbaijan was established on July 31, 2002 by decree of the President of Azerbaijan Heydar Aliyev, by the removal of the border troops from jurisdiction of the Ministry of National Security of Azerbaijan. The main function of the border guard is to guard the Azerbaijani borders against any illegal acts, and to prevent illegal arms, drugs and human trafficking in the country.
Maritime Brigade (Azerbaijani Coast Guard)
The Azerbaijan Coast Guard is an Azeri law enforcement agency which is a part of the State Border Service. It has been receiving U.S. Coast Guard assistance including the transfer of a Point-class cutter.
The commander is Colonel Afghan Nagiyev.
The Coast Guard was established within the State Border Service by presidential order in 2005. The Coast Guard’s new base was built in Türkan district of Baku within the State Program on “Technical development of security of state borders of the Republic of Azerbaijan in 2006-2010”.
The Maritime Brigade/Coast Guard has one Point class cutter, S 14 (ex Point Brower, transferred 28 February 2003), one Osa class missile boat, S 008, which has had its SS-N-2B missiles removed, 3 Stenka class patrol boats, S 005, S 006, and S 007, all with sonar and torpedo tubes removed, 1 Zhuk class patrol craft, P 222, and two 48-foot Silver Ships small craft, S 11 and S 12. (Jane's Fighting Ships 2010)
Flags of Border Troops and military units (land flags)
- Flag of the Border Troops (reverse). Note: The obverse of the flag is similar to the national flag
- Flag of the Border Regiments (reverse). Note: The obverse of the flag is similar to the national flag
- Flag of the Border Units (reverse). Note: The obverse of the flag is similar to the national flag
- The flag of the Azerbaijani Coast Guard
- Flag of the President of Azerbaijan while on board a ship of the State Border Service
- Flag of the Chief of the State Border Service - Commander of Border Troops
- Flag of the Chief of General Staff of the Border Troops
- Flag of the Commander of a group of vessels
- Command Pennant of Border Patrol vessels
- Masthead Pennant of Border Patrol vessels
- Trend News: Iranian & Azerbaijani border guards to have a meeting
- The Presidential Decree "On establishment of the State Border Service of Azerbaijan Republic" dated July 31, 2002
- http://en.apa.az/news.php?id=86922 and
- Official website
- Azerbaijantoday.com. Azerbaijan border service has covered a long way of development, 07.09.2009
- News.az. State Border Service ships rescue Russian ship
- Defenselink.mil. Caspian Guard initiative