Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Slovakia
|Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Slovakia|
ECAV church in Trnava (1924)
Lutheran World Federation,|
World Council of Churches,
Conference of European Churches
|Members||226,402 baptized members|
History of the church
The church was established in 1922. after dissolution of Austro-Hungarian empire. The church opposed the Nazis in World War II . After the Communist coup d'état of 1948, the Lutheran Church lost control over its schools and social services, and many church periodicals ceased to be published. More than one hundred clergy were persecuted; many were imprisoned and restrained from exercising their ministry. Until 1989 the Church lived under the strict control of the regime and in 1993 the Synod adopted a new constitution.
Number of adherents and beliefs
The ECAV is the second largest church in Slovakia (c. 7% of population). It considers the Gospel as contained in the Bible to be the source of faith in the triune God and the rule for life. Jesus is regarded as the head of the Church and it functions on the basis of the equality of God’s children. The Augsburg Confession is recognized as a correct explanation of central issues of faith.
At present there are 326 congregations grouped into 14 conferences (seniorats), and two districts: the East and the West Districts. There are about 355 active clergy. The Church administers 657 functional churches and ecclesiastical buildings.
Relations with other churches
Slovak Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession in Serbia
- The Lutheran World Federation – 2013 Membership Figures Lutheran World