Kari Kustaa Alitalo (born 21 May 1952 Kuopio ) is a Finnish MD and a medical researcher. He is a foreign associated member of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA. He became famous for his discoveries of several receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs) and the first growth factor capable to induce lymphangiogenesis: vascular endothelial growth factor C (VEGF-C). In the years 1996–2007 he was Europe's second most cited author in the field of cell biology. Alitalo is currently serving as an Academy Professor for the Academy of Finland.
Alitalo received the Leopold Griffuel Prize in 2002 and the 2006 Louis-Jeantet Prize for Medicine. He also received the 2005 Eric Fernström Foundation's Nordic Prize and the 2009 In-Bev Baillet Latour Health Prize. In 2014, he received the Dr. A.H.Heineken Prize for Medicine.
- Pajala, Lasse (2010). Kuka kukin on 2011 (in Finnish). Otava. ISBN 978-951-1-24712-8.
- National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected News, April 30th, 2013, National Academy of Sciences. Accessed June 3, 2013
- Partanen, J; Mäkelä, TP; Eerola, E; Korhonen, J; Hirvonen, H; Claesson-Welsh, L; Alitalo, K (1991). "FGFR-4, a novel acidic fibroblast growth factor receptor with a distinct expression pattern". The EMBO Journal. 10 (6): 1347–54. PMC 452793. PMID 1709094.
- Aprelikova, O; Pajusola, K; Partanen, J; Armstrong, E; Alitalo, R; Bailey, SK; McMahon, J; Wasmuth, J; et al. (1992). "FLT4, a novel class III receptor tyrosine kinase in chromosome 5q33-qter". Cancer Research. 52 (3): 746–8. PMID 1310071.
- Partanen, J; Armstrong, E; Mäkelä, TP; Korhonen, J; Sandberg, M; Renkonen, R; Knuutila, S; Huebner, K; Alitalo, K (1992). "A novel endothelial cell surface receptor tyrosine kinase with extracellular epidermal growth factor homology domains". Molecular and Cellular Biology. 12 (4): 1698–707. PMC 369613. PMID 1312667.
- Joukov, V; Pajusola, K; Kaipainen, A; Chilov, D; Lahtinen, I; Kukk, E; Saksela, O; Kalkkinen, N; Alitalo, K (1996). "A novel vascular endothelial growth factor, VEGF-C, is a ligand for the Flt4 (VEGFR-3) and KDR (VEGFR-2) receptor tyrosine kinases". The EMBO Journal. 15 (2): 290–98. PMC 449944. PMID 8617204.
- "Publication Analysis 1996-2007. Cell Biology." Lab Times. 2007. Number 5, pages 42-44
- "Akatemiaprofessorit". Academy of Finland. 27 May 2015. Retrieved 28 May 2015.
- Leopold Griffuel Prize. Wikipedia. Accessed June 3rd, 2013
- Professor Kari Alitalo. Winner of the 2006 Louis-Jeantet Prize for medicine. Louis-Jeantet Foundation. Accessed August 21, 2011
- Kari Alitalo received recognition for his work, University of Helsinki 2005 annual report. Accessed August 21, 2011
- FINISH PROFESSORS KARI ALITALO AND SEPPO YLÄ-HERTTUALA ARE RECIPIENTS OF THE INBEV-BAILLET LATOUR HEALTH PRIZE 2009 FOR THEIR PIONEERING RESEARCH ON CARDIOVASCULAR DISORDERS. Press-release, April 2009, In-Bev Baillet Latour Foundation. Accessed August 21, 2011