|Born||March 10, 1957|
Franz-Ulrich Hartl (born 10 March 1957) is a German biochemist and Managing Director of the Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry. He is known for his pioneering work in the field of protein-mediated protein folding.
Hartl was born in Essen, Germany on 10 March 1957. He completed his M.D. (1982) and Dr. med. (1985) at the University of Heidelberg. He then completed his Dr. Med. Habil. from the Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Munich in 1990. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Munich from 1985 to 1986 and a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, Los Angeles from 1989 to 1990.
Hartl received the following honors:
- 1996 Vinci Award, LVMH Science for Art competition
- 1997 Lipmann Award of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 1997 Foreign Member of the Academy of Science of Nordrhein-Westfalen
- 1999 Academy Award of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities
- 2000 Wilhelm Vaillant Research Prize
- 2000 Foreign Honorary Member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2002 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz-Prize of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Council)
- 2002 Member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina
- 2003 Feldberg Prize
- 2004 Member of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences
- 2004 Gairdner Foundation International Award jointly with Arthur L. Horwich
- 2005 Ernst Jung Prize for Medicine
- 2006 Stein and Moore Award of the Protein Society
- 2006 Körber European Science Award
- 2007 Wiley Prize in Biomedical Science jointly with Arthur L. Horwich of Yale School of Medicine, "for their significant contribution in protein folding".
- 2008 Lewis S. Rosenstiel Award for Distinguished Work in Basic Medical Research jointly with Arthur L. Horwich "for their pioneering work in the field of protein-mediated protein folding"
- 2008 Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize (Columbia University) for Biology or Biochemistry jointly with Arthur L. Horwich
- 2008 Honorary Member, Japanese Biochemical Society
- 2009 Otto Warburg Medal of the German Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (GBM)
- 2010 Elected as AAAS Fellow
- 2010 van Gysel Prize for Biomedical Research in Europe
- 2010 The Twenty-Seventh Annual Cynthia Ann Chan Memorial Lecture, University of California, Berkeley
- 2010 The Dr H.P. Heineken Prize for Biochemistry and Biophysics, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2011 The Albert Lasker Award for Basic Medical Research
- 2011 Elected to the National Academy of Sciences, USA, Foreign associate
- 2011 Massry Prize from the Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California
- 2012 The Shaw Prize in medicine
- 2016 Albany Medical Center Prize
- 2016 Ernst Schering Prize
- "Recipients Of 6th Annual Wiley Prize In Biomedical Sciences Announced By Wiley Foundation". Medical News Today. 2007-02-02. Retrieved 2008-01-24.
- "Award Winners 2008". Brandeis University. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- Ernst Schering Preis 2016
- "Curriculum Vitae of F. Ulrich Hartl". Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry. Retrieved 2011-01-14.