Bacterial infections are sometimes treated with antibiotics. Examples are:
- Ciprodex ear drops containing ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone
- Gentisone HC ear drops containing gentamicin and hydrocortisone
- Ciproxin HC ear drops containing ciprofloxacin and hydrocortisone
- Sofradex ear drops containing Neomycin sulfate, gramicidin, (Antibiotics) dexamethasone sodium metasulfobenzoate (steroid) and phenylethyl alcohol (inactive ingredient)
- Kenacomb ear drops, containing triamcinolone acetonide, neomycin and gramicidin (antibiotics) and nystatin (antifungal)
Over the counter ear drops are also available, including spirit drops (alcohol solution), which dries out the ear, and drops such as Aqua Ear (used for swimmer's ear) containing a mixture of substances such as alcohol and acetic acid, to dry the ear and make it difficult for microbes to grow.