View of some rocky outcrops of the range
|Coordinates||25°1′55″N 113°44′46″E / 25.03194°N 113.74611°ECoordinates: 25°1′55″N 113°44′46″E / 25.03194°N 113.74611°E|
Location in China
|Parent range||Yuecheng Ridge, Nan Mountains|
|Official name||China Danxia|
|Designated||2010 (34th session)|
It is described on the local signage as a "world famous UNESCO geopark of China".
The Danxia area is formed from a reddish sandstone which has been eroded over time into a series of outcrops surrounded by spectacular cliffs and many unusual rock formations known as Danxia landform. There are a number of temples located on the mountains and many scenic walks can be undertaken. There is also a river winding through the mountains on which boat trips can be taken.
Among other attractions that make the Danxia range interesting, the area has the following characteristic stone formations:
- Yang Yuan Stone, (Yangyuan "male/father stone") bearing a remarkable resemblance to a phallus
- Yin Yuan Stone or Yinyuan hole, which somewhat resembles the female vulva.
- Breasts Stone, human breast-shaped rocky outcrops on a cliff hanging 30 m above the ground.
- Sleeping Beauty, a rocky range resembling a sleeping maiden.
World Heritage Site
- Yang Yuan Stone
- Yin Yuan Stone
- Red cliff
- Craggy face
- Shaoshi rocky summits
- China Danxia
- List of World Heritage Sites in China
- List of mountain ranges in the world named The Sleeping Lady
- Sacred Mountains of China
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mount Danxia.|