Church of St Nicholas, Burnage
|Church of St Nicholas|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Diocese||Anglican Diocese of Manchester|
The Church of St Nicholas, Kingsway, Burnage, Manchester, is a Modernist church of 1930–2 by N. F. Cachemaille-Day, Lander and Welch. It was enlarged in 1964 with a bay on the west side, also by Cachemaille-Day. Pevsner describes the church as "a milestone in the history of church architecture in England". The church was designated a Grade II* listed building on 10 October 1980.
St Nicholas is one of a relatively small group of Modernist churches in England, and one of the earliest. It is "of brick, high, sheer and sculptural, with a German-inspired passion for brick grooves and ribbing, both vertical and horizontal." The building cost £11,600. The interior was plainly furnished, "the walls bare, the windows clear, but the ceiling is coffered in blue, red and gold".
In 2001-3, the church underwent significant restoration, at a cost of over 1 million pounds. The restoration included a re-ordering of the interior to provide additional meeting space, and offices, including the insertion of a "striking glass circular meeting room". "The church's spatial complexity is not spoiled, but rather added to", by "hanging the meeting room above head height".
List of incumbents
- Lynne Connolly (1996 to 2002)
- Paul Rolfe (2003 to 2007); first priest-in-charge
- Rachel Mann (2008 to present); incumbent
- view to the altar
- the coffered ceiling from the glass meeting room
- the coffered ceiling
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Saint Nicholas Church (Burnage).|
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2004), Lancashire: Manchester and the South East, The Buildings of England, New Haven, CT; London: Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-10583-5