Wythenshawe Bus Garage
Designed by Manchester City Architects Department under G. Noel Hill, and completed in 1942, the garage was a pioneering example of its type of construction. It is located in Harling Road, off Sharston Road in the Sharston district of Wythenshawe. It was the second-largest reinforced concrete shell roof structure to be constructed in England. The building’s structure was particularly innovative for its time. Its concrete arches have a span of 165 ft (50.3m) from side to side, are 42 ft (12.8m) high and spaced 42 ft (12.8m) apart. The tensile concrete shell roof between these concrete arches is just 2.5 inches (63.5mm) thick and is daringly punctured by large rooflights. Wythenshawe Garage proved to be the model for much larger buildings using the concrete shell roof structure technique, which was an economic method of achieving large uninterrupted roof spans.
Originally designed to garage 100 double-decker buses, the building on its completion was immediately commandeered by the Ministry of Aircraft Production for work associated with the building and repair of Avro Lancaster bombers in support of Britain’s Second World War efforts.
The building is now in private ownership and is used for car parking.
- Wythenshawe Bus Depot, Heritage Gateway, retrieved 26 December 2009
- Hartwell, Hyde & Pevsner (2004), p. 498
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2004), Lancashire: Manchester and the South East, The Buildings of England, Yale University Press, ISBN 0-300-10583-5
- "Manchester Bus Garage" in Concrete Quarterly, No. 1, July 1947, pp. 44-47.
- Harwood, Elain (2003). England: A Guide to Post War Listed Buildings (2nd ed.). Batsford. ISBN 978-0-7134-8818-0.