Chișinău International Airport
|Chișinău International Airport|
Aeroportul Internațional Chișinău
|IATA: KIV – ICAO: LUKK|
|Operator||Chișinău International Airport Company|
|Focus city for||
|Elevation AMSL||399 ft / 122 m|
|Coordinates||46°55′40″N 028°55′51″E / 46.92778°N 28.93083°ECoordinates: 46°55′40″N 028°55′51″E / 46.92778°N 28.93083°E|
Location in Moldova
Chișinău International Airport (IATA: KIV, ICAO: LUKK) is Moldova's main international airport, located 13 km (8.1 mi) southeast of the centre of Chișinău, the capital city. It serves as headquarters for Air Moldova, the country's national airline.
The first scheduled flights to Chișinău started on 24 June 1926, on the route Bucharest – Galați – Chișinău and Iași. The flights were operated by Compagnie Franco-Roumaine de Navigation Aérienne – CFRNA, later LARES. A commemorative plaque, describing the first flight to Chișinău, was placed in the airport.
The main terminal was built in the 1970s, with a capacity of 1,200,000 passengers per year.
Development since the 1990s
On 31 May 1995 Chișinău Airport was awarded the status of an international airport.
In 2002, following works by the Turkish company Akfen Holding, the airport was modernized. An annex terminal building with an area of 4,270 m2 (46,000 sq ft) was added to the renovated old terminal building of 7,600 m2 (82,000 sq ft). The project covered construction of 3,000 m2 (32,000 sq ft) curtain walls, 3,200 m2 (34,000 sq ft) composite panels, 12,185 m2 (131,160 sq ft) asphalt road, a treatment plant with a capacity of 3,450 m3 (122,000 cu ft) a day, complete mechanical heating, ventilation and electrical systems, along with the X-ray security, luggage handling, master clock, and flight information systems. The annual capacity of the airport had increased to 5.4 million passengers.
Chișinău International Airport is a member of Airports Council International.
There are plans to enlarge the airport. The project involves EUR 19 million loan to Chișinău International Airport for the rehabilitation and upgrade of the existing runway, taxiways, aprons, and ramps, engineering works, safety equipment and other connected core assets of Chișinău International Airport. The European Investment Bank ('EIB') is considering co-financing alongside EBRD for up to an equal amount.
Previously passengers had to present their passport, ticket and their registration (of foreigners – which used to be required). Passengers were allowed in the check in hall. With the introduction of e-tickets and the abolition of the registration for foreigners the airport reorganized in late 2006. This resulted in a bigger check-in hall and customs control is now after check-in.
Airlines and destinations
|Czech Airlines |
operated by ASL Airlines Switzerland
|Rank||City||Airport(s)|| Weekly Departures
|1.||Moscow||Sheremetyevo Airport, Domodedovo Airport||43||Air Moldova, Aeroflot, S7 Airlines|
|2.||Bucharest||Henri Coandă Airport||20||TAROM|
|3.||Istanbul||Atatürk Airport||14||Air Moldova, Turkish Airlines|
|4.||Vienna||Vienna Airport||12||Air Moldova, Austrian Airlines|
| Boryspil Airport
Warsaw Chopin Airport
|7|| Ukraine International Airlines|
LOT Polish Airlines
- The Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova has its headquarters on the airport property.
There are bus lines and rutieră vans frequently departing from the airport (aerogara). Rutieră line 165 passes through the Botanica district and continues to the city center. The 'AEROGARA' bus departs from Piața D. Cantemir and has intermediate stops in the city center on Stefan Cel Mare street. It also stops at the central railway station 'GARA' bus station. There is a white livery bus operating in a 30-minute interval This is different from rutieră vans, which may stop at any time, given the driver is notified a few seconds prior.
- Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova
- List of airports in Moldova
- List of the busiest airports in the former USSR
- "EAD Basic - Error Page". Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- European Airport Traffic Trends at anna.aero
- In 2013 Chisinau International Airport carried a record number of passengers at airport.md
- Airline companies in Rumania (1918–1945)
- Chișinău International Airport at azworldairports.com
- "Error 404". Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "All Press Releases". 16 March 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- About Chisinau International Airport at booking.md
- Liu, Jim (7 November 2016). "Air Moldova adds new routes in S17". Routesonline. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- Relansarea cursei aeriene Chișinău-București cu Air Moldova
- "AtlasGlobal Adds Istanbul – Chisinau from Sep 2016". routesonline. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- FlyOne outlines planned new routes in S17
- Flight schedule
- "Contacts." Civil Aviation Administration of Moldova. Retrieved on 4 November 2011. "Postal address: Republica Moldova, Chisinau, Aeroport, MD-2026"
Media related to Chișinău International Airport at Wikimedia Commons