Chadwell Heath railway station
Station building and entrance
Location of Chadwell Heath in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Redbridge|
|Managed by||TfL Rail|
|Number of platforms||4|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|Lists of stations|
|WGS84||51°34′04″N 0°07′45″E / 51.5678°N 0.1292°ECoordinates: 51°34′04″N 0°07′45″E / 51.5678°N 0.1292°E|
London Transport portal|
UK Railways portal
Chadwell Heath railway station is on the Great Eastern Main Line in Chadwell Heath, which straddles the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and the London Borough of Redbridge in east London. It is 9 miles 79 chains (16.1 km) down-line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Goodmayes and Romford. Its three-letter station code is CTH and it is in Travelcard Zone 5.
The station was opened in 1864 by the Eastern Counties Railway. It is currently managed by TfL Rail. Train services call at Chadwell Heath as part of the Shenfield-Liverpool Street stopping "metro" service. From 2019, the station will be fully served by Crossrail, linking Chadwell Heath to additional stations in central London as well as Reading and London Heathrow Airport. TfL Rail, the precursor of Crossrail, took over the running of the Shenfield "metro" in May 2015.
Chadwell Heath station was opened on 11 January 1864, and is built on the site of Wangey House, one of Dagenham's oldest buildings dating back to 1250. Wangey House was partly demolished when the Eastern Counties Railway built the line in the 1830s; the last surviving portion was demolished when the Great Eastern Railway widened the line in 1901.
|TfL Rail||London Liverpool Street - Stratford - Maryland - Forest Gate - Manor Park - Ilford - Seven Kings - Goodmayes - Chadwell Heath - Romford - Gidea Park - Harold Wood - Brentwood - Shenfield||Class 315||6x per hour|
The four platforms at Chadwell Heath will be extended from their current length of 184 metres (201 yd) to accommodate the Crossrail trains which will be over 200 metres (220 yd) long. New lifts, signage, help points, customer information screens and CCTV will also be installed. Additionally, a new passing loop for freight traffic will be constructed to the west of the station, to replace the disused loop further up the line at Manor Park.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "Buses from Romford" (PDF). Transport for London.
- "TfL Launches Competition to Find Operator to Run Crossrail Services". Transport for London. 12 March 2013. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- TfL Rail Timetable
- Media related to Chadwell Heath railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Train times and station information for Chadwell Heath railway station from National Rail
- Excel file displaying National Rail station usage information for 2005/06
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
towards Liverpool Street
|Great Eastern Railway|