Abellio (London & Surrey)
|Service type||Bus services|
|Routes||59 (July 2014)|
|Fleet||656 (July 2014)|
Abellio London and Abellio Surrey are bus companies operating services in Greater London and Surrey. They are subsidiaries of Abellio and operate services under contract to Transport for London and Surrey County Council.
The origins of Abellio can be traced back to June 1998 when National Express commenced operating routes C1 and 211 under the Travel London brand. In August 2000, National Express sold the business to Limebourne Buses, who in July 2001 sold out to Connex. In February 2004, National Express repurchased the business. Further expansion in 2005 saw the purchases of the London bus operations of Tellings-Golden Miller with a depot in Byfleet and various Surrey County Council contracts.
Travel London operated contracts on behalf of Transport for London, Surrey County Council, and Kingston University. Operations were split between three registered companies; Travel London Limited, Travel London (Middlesex) Limited, and Travel London (West) Limited. The Surrey routes were rebranded as Travel Surrey in September 2007.
In May 2009, National Express sold Travel London to Abellio, a wholly owned subsidiary of Netherlands state-controlled rail operator Nederlandse Spoorwegen, with which it shares a logo. The sale included 66 routes, 36 Transport for London tendered services and 30 Surrey County Council and Kingston University routes. All vehicles, depots and staff were included.
Abellio operates six garages in London and Surrey. Beddington Cross, Battersea and Walworth are operated by Abellio London Limited and Byfleet, Fulwell and Hayes by Abellio West London Limited.
Beddington Cross (BC)
This garage was established by Q-Drive in the late 1990s, hence the QB code. Travel London's original bus garage was situated further north towards Stewarts Lane railway depot which was the home of the Gatwick Express, a rail franchise then operated by its parent National Express. Connex moved into these premises after purchasing the Limebourne business in July 2001. In December 2015, Battersea Garage started operating route 159.
In 2005, Walworth garage reopened for Travel London, who needed more garage space after some contract wins.
Byfleet (BF) - Abellio Surrey
This garage holds 50 buses and is the base for several Surrey County Council tendered routes as well as some commercial services.
This garage was operated by Tellings-Golden Miller and was sold to National Express in June 2005. It was rebranded as Travel Surrey in September 2007 and ran buses in a livery of white with a red skirt. Renamed Travel London, in September 2007 it was rebranded as Travel Surrey. In October 2009 it was rebranded Abellio Surrey.
Fulwell bus garage operates London bus routes 235, 290, 481, 490, H20, H25, H26, H28, K1, K3, R68 and R70. The garage is split into two sections, with northern half used by London United and the southern half used by Abellio. A part of Abellio's section is used by London United as the terminus for its route 33.
On 28 May 2016, Fulwell took over the running of H28 which moved from Hayes to make space for routes E5, E7 and E9.
- National Express buys 200 London buses The Telegraph 27 February 2004
- National Express Group purchases the London Bus Division of Tellings Golden Miller National Express corporate news 1 June 2005
- Companies House extract company no 3786162 Abellio London Limited
- Companies House extract company no 3792590 Travel London (Middlesex) Limited
- Companies House extract company no 689260 Abellio West London Limited
- Abellio Group Head Office, Group corporate website, Abellio, Utrecht, Netherlands, Undate.<Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- National Express Group plc agreement to sell Travel London National Express Group 21 May 2009
- NedRailways acquisition reinforces long term commitment to UK transport market NedRailways 9 June 2009
- NedRailways announces launch Abellio London and Abellio Surrey NedRailways 30 October 2009
- Burning bus explodes in South London street BBC News 5 November 2014
- Services in London Abellio
- Carr, Ken (September 2014). The London Bus Guide (4 ed.). Boreham: Visions International Entertainment. p. 111. ISBN 978-0-9570058-6-0.
- Optare Excels: Travel London, Limebourne, Connex Ian's Bus Stop
- Abellio London now operates route 159 Abellio 16 December 2015
- Green light for new energy efficient bus infrastructure Transport for London 24 February 2005
- Solar powered bus garages BBC News 24 February 2005
- "Fulwell Depot: Teddington". The Twickenham Museum. 2014. Retrieved 19 June 2014.
- Abellio London & Surrey wins three new routes in West London Abellio
- Facts & Figures Abellio July 2014
- Media related to Abello London (bus company) at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Travel Surrey (bus company) at Wikimedia Commons
- Abellio London & Surrey website