Hanwell railway station
Location of Hanwell in Greater London
|Local authority||London Borough of Ealing|
|Managed by||Great Western Railway|
|Number of platforms||3|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1 December 1838||Opened as Hanwell|
|1 April 1896||Renamed Hanwell and Elthorne|
|6 May 1974||Renamed Hanwell|
|Lists of stations|
|WGS84||51°30′42″N 0°20′20″W / 51.5116°N 0.3389°WCoordinates: 51°30′42″N 0°20′20″W / 51.5116°N 0.3389°W|
London Transport portal|
UK Railways portal
Hanwell railway station is a railway station in Hanwell in the London Borough of Ealing. The station is managed by Great Western Railway but served by local services operated by Heathrow Connect from London Paddington to Heathrow Airport.
The station is manned for part of the day. There is a passenger-operated ticket machine at the station's northern entrance as well as a PERTIS passenger-operated ticket machine issuing 'Permit to Travel' tickets which are exchanged on-train or at manned stations for travel tickets.
The station is on the original line of the Great Western Railway which opened on 4 June 1838, although Hanwell station was not ready until December of that year; it opened on 1 December. From 1 March 1883, the station was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor; the service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885. The station was renamed Hanwell and Elthorne on 1 April 1896, and reverted to Hanwell on 6 May 1974. Re-built circa 1875–77 it has been declared a grade II listed building by English Heritage but is stated to be in a poor condition.
The station is sited a short distance east of the Grade I listed Wharncliffe Viaduct.
On platform 3 is a station nameboard, bearing the pre-1974 name Hanwell and Elthorne.
- 'Capitals United Express' in 1959
- Hanwell station looking east (towards Paddington).
- Pre-1974 signage.
- Waiting rooms.
The station operator is Great Western Railway, however only a few services stop here on Monday to Friday, these include the 0847 to Reading. Additionally there are two Great Western Railway trains on Saturday at 0004 and 0104 both to Reading. There is also a train in the morning from Reading.
All other services are provided by Heathrow Connect (2tph in either direction for most of the day.)
There are no Sunday train services from Hanwell.
From October 2008, Oyster "pay as you go" can be used for journeys originating or ending at Hanwell with the exception of journeys to Heathrow, where "pay as you go" is not valid.
The station will also be modified to allow for step-free access to the platforms. In other respects the station already meets most Crossrail requirements, but Network Rail will undertake minor architectural works including branding and signage.
London Buses route E3 serve the station.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- MacDermot, E. T. (1927). History of the Great Western Railway. 1 (1833–1863) (1 ed.). London: Great Western Railway.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 113. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- Rose, Douglas (December 2007) . The London Underground: A Diagrammatic History (8th ed.). Harrow Weald: Capital Transport. ISBN 978-1-85414-315-0.
- Day, John R.; Reed, John (2008) . The Story of London's Underground (10th ed.). Harrow: Capital Transport. p. 26. ISBN 978-1-85414-316-7.
- English Heritage. "Hanwell Station, main up side building and down side island platform". Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Ealing Council. "Second entrance at Hanwell Station reopens". Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- "Oyster PAYG on National Rail" (PDF). National Rail Enquiries. 2008-10-20.
- "Travelcards and Oyster". National Rail Enquiries. 2011-09-09.
- "Capital's key services protected, says Johnson". The Press Association. 20 October 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2010.
- "Crossrail Station Design Contract Awarded". Crossrail. 17 May 2011. Retrieved 13 May 2012.
- Train times and station information for Hanwell railway station from National Rail
- English Heritage entry for Hanwell Station
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Southall|| Great Western Railway
Great Western Main Line
Monday – Saturday only
| Heathrow Connect
Paddington – Heathrow
Mondays – Saturdays only
|Preceding station||Crossrail||Following station|
towards Heathrow Terminal 4
towards Abbey Wood
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
towards Mansion House