Battle of Shadadeh
|Battle of Shadadeh|
|Part of the Syrian civil war|
|Commanders and leaders|
Abu Mohammad al-Golani (al-Nusra Front leader)|
Unknown top provincial al-Nusra commander †
|2,000 fighters||250 soldiers|
|Casualties and losses|
|40 killed||100 killed|
The Battle of Shadadeh was a three-day-long battle fought between government forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and Islamist Al-Nusra Front fighters in the city of Shadadeh, located near the Iraqi border.
On 12 February, as part of a large rebel offensive against Shadadeh, two suicide bombers from Al-Nusra Front detonated car bombs around the city, the explosions targeted the military and state security branches of the city. Around 14 soldiers were killed as a result of the explosions. Later that day, 1 al-Nusra fighter was killed in clashes with government forces.
On 13 February, violent clashes were reported to have taken place in Shadadeh between rebels and government forces. Over the past 48 hours, al-Nusra fighters managed to take large parts of the city, at least 60%. During one of the Islamist assaults, tens of petroleum workers were killed when al-Nusra fighters attacked residential areas of the city, including an oil refinery. The clashes had left 16 al-Nusra fighters and a number of soldiers dead by this point. There were reports of military reinforcements and army tanks arriving, via al-Hasakah city. There were no signs of any Free Syrian Army or other rebel presence reported in the city.
On 14 February, Islamists claimed to have taken over Shadadeh after three days of fighting government forces. Violent clashes were said to have continued to take place with government checkpoints on the outskirts of the city. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR) stated that the final death toll was 40 al-Nusra fighters, five of them non-Syrian (Kuwaiti and Iraqi), and no less than 100 members of the regular army and security services killed.
- Naharnet Newsdesk (14 February 2013). "Rebels Seize Syria Town on Iraq Border, Shoot down Two Warplanes in Idlib". Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- "Preliminary death toll for Thursday 14/2/2013". Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- More than 220 Syrian fallen yesterday
- AFP (February 14, 2013). "Jihadists seize Syria town on Iraq border". Retrieved 2013-02-17.
- arabnews.com (16 February 2013). "Assad troops battle rebels near airports, Golan". Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- al-Nusra Front execute 5 persons in al-Shaddadi