Timeline of the Syrian Civil War (September–December 2016)
- After capturing the Technical College in Southern Aleppo the SAA entered the Armament School under Jaysh Al-Fateh’s (Army of Conquest) control.
- Rebels forces at Muadamiyat agree to surrender to the SAA in exchange for safe passage to rebel-controlled territory, ending a four-year siege.
- Syrian Government forces recaptured the territory previously lost during the rebel offensive in Aleppo that opened a new unsecured corridor via the Ramouseh district
- Multiple airstrikes after the USA and Russia announced their plans for a nationwide ceasefire resulted in the deaths of more than 100 civilians and the injury of over 100 more.
- The previously agreed ceasefire is been extended, and appears to largely hold, despite violations on both sides. Delivery of aid convoys continues to be hampered.
- On 17 September 2016, US airplanes struck a target of Dayr Az Zawr. Centcom declared that they halted airstrikes when they were informed by Russian officials that the target hit by US airplanes may have been a Syrian Arab Army target. RT reported that 62 Syrian Army soldiers were killed. The Syrian Arab News Agency said that an ISIS assault on the Syrian Army began right after the US airstrike.
- Syrian Arab Army offensive on the rebel held parts of Eastern Aleppo, seize 15-20% of it.
- Dabiq offensive: Turkish-backed rebels capture the symbolically important town of Dabiq from the Islamic State group.
- Russian Aerospace Forces and Syrian Government military stopped airtrikes on rebels targets in Aleppo, Damascus, Hama and Latakia regions in accordance to a 8 hour cease fire.
- Belgian airstrikes in Syria kills 6 civilians by error.
- Hundreds of armed rebel fighters evacuate Mu'addamiyat, after an agrement with Government Forces. Leaving the town to Government control.
- After failed negotiations in Eastern Ghouta between Jaysh al-Islam rebels and Government officials, the SAA renewed their offensive at Al-Reyhan Western Farms.
- The Russian sponsored 24 hour ceasefire reported over 44 violations according to the Russian Center for reconciliation of the warring parties in Syria.
The Syrian Air Force killed a Free Syrian Army Chief of Staff in the Homs region, Colonel Shouki Ayyoub was killed alongside 5 rebels in the town of Al-Rastan.
During a summit of Pacific leaders in Peru, U.S President Barack Obama expressed his belief that Syrian Army would take the Eastern side of Aleppo from Rebel and Jihadist Forces. He also expressed doubts in short term prospects in Syria.
A Syrian air strike in Homs region targeted a highhigh-ranking Ahrar Al-Sham meeting, killing 5 insurgents, meanwhile Israeli aircraft raided ISIS positions killng 4 militants in response of a ISIS afiliate ("Yarmouk Martyrs Brigade") attack on a Israeli checkpoint in the Golan Heights.
- Fadel, Leith (1 September 2016). "Syrian Army, Hezbollah enter Armament School in southern Aleppo". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Another besieged Damascus suburb surrenders". The National. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Syrian government forces recapture areas in southwest Aleppo
- "More Than 100 Dead In Attacks Before Syria Truce". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Syria: US and Russia agree to 48-hour truce extension". Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Coalition halts airstrike in progress against possible Syrian military".
- "Coalition Halts Airstrike in Progress Against Possible Syrian Military Position". U.S. DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. 18 September 2016.
- "US-led coalition aircraft strike Syrian army positions, kill 62 soldiers – military".
- "The Inside Source". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Syria conflict: IS 'ousted from symbolic town of Dabiq'; BBC, 16 October 2016
- Desk, News (24 October 2016). "Ceasefire in Syria violated 44 times in 24 hours: Russian reconciliation center". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Russia, Syria Halt Aleppo Airstrikes Ahead of 8-Hour Lull". 18 October 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016 – via The New York Times.
- 21wire (19 October 2016). "Russia Reports Belgium Killing Civilians in Aleppo Airstrikes, Russian Ambassador Summoned". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Russia summons Belgian envoy in row over Syria air strike". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Las autoridades anuncian la salida de las primeras personas de Alepo por corredores". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (24 October 2016). "Syrian Army renews East Ghouta offensive after failed peace negotiations". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (25 October 2016). "Jihadist commander beheaded by jihadist rebels in Idlib". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (26 October 2016). "Syrian Air Force kills high ranking FSA commander in northern Homs". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (3 November 2016). "BREAKING: ISIS shoots down Russian helicopter near Palmyra". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Tomson, Chris (3 November 2016). "VIDEO: Russian pilots escape death moments before ISIS missile hits their helicopter". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Desk, News (8 November 2016). "Aleppo will be captured by year-end: Lebanese analyst". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Fadel, Leith (10 November 2016). "Rebels accuse the US of attacking their forces in Idlib". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Desk, News (10 November 2016). "Up to 6,000 militants attempting to enter east Aleppo: Russian FM". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Antonopoulos, Paul (22 November 2016). "Obama believes Syrian army will take Aleppo". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- Regime forces Re-gain control and advance over rebels in Aleppo city
- "Syrian troops reverse rebel advance west of Aleppo".
- AFP (12 November 2016). "Syria regime eroding rebel gains in Aleppo: monitor".
- Fadel, Leith (24 November 2016). "Syrian Air Force kills Turkish soldiers in east Aleppo: report". Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "Three Turkish soldiers killed in regime attack in Syria: Military". Hurriyet Daily News. 24 November 2016.
- Syrian Air Force strikes top-ranking Ahrar Al-Sham meeting in Homs
- Israeli Air Force strikes Islamic State militants inside Syria for the first time