Anthony Davis (offensive tackle, born 1989)
Davis with the San Francisco 49ers in 2014
|Date of birth:||October 11, 1989|
|Place of birth:||Piscataway, New Jersey|
|Height:||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight:||323 lb (147 kg)|
|High school:||Piscataway (NJ)|
|NFL Draft:||2010 / Round: 1 / Pick: 11|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Anthony Nathaniel Davis (born October 11, 1989) is a former American football offensive tackle who played for the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League (NFL). Davis was drafted by the 49ers in the first round of the 2010 NFL draft. He played college football at Rutgers University.
High school career
Davis attended Piscataway High School in New Jersey, where he played for the Piscataway Chiefs high school football team. He was a three-year starter and recorded more than 70 pancake blocks for his career. In his sophomore season, Davis was a teammate to fellow NFL players Kyle Wilson, and Malcolm Jenkins and helped the team to an undefeated season, and its third consecutive state title. Davis played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl and was earned First-team All-American honors by USA Today.
Considered a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, Davis was listed as the No. 5 offensive guard prospect in the nation. He was also listed as the No. prospect coming out of high school in the nation. He was also regarded as the top prospect from New Jersey and received over 50 scholarship offers, he chose Rutgers over Ohio State, becoming the first No. 1 prospect from New Jersey to sign with Greg Schiano at Rutgers, and the highest rated since Nate Robinson in 2003.
In his initial year at Rutgers, Davis played in all 13 games on the year. He was named starting right guard for the sixth game of the season and started the final eight games of the 2007 season. He earned First-team Freshman All-American honors by the Football Writers Association of America, The Sporting News and Rivals.com, and Second-team All-American laurels from Scout.com.
Davis was moved to left tackle before the 2008 season, and started 12 games at that position. He was named to the Second-team All-Big East by the league’s head coaches and a First-team All-Big East honoree by the media.
In 2009 Davis was First-team All-Big East and Second-team All-America.
2010 NFL Draft
After the 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl, Davis said on the field that he scheduled a news conference for December 22, to announce his NFL plans. At that news conference, he declared his intentions to enter the 2010 NFL Draft, and said he would hire an agent.
San Francisco 49ers
Davis was drafted with the 11th overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers after the 49ers traded up from the 13th overall pick with the Denver Broncos in order to select Davis. On July 30, 2010, Davis signed a five-year contract worth $37.5 million, with $15.95 million guaranteed.
Davis gained some attention on the eve of a NFC Wild Card playoff game by using an expletive statement on Twitter, in which he disparaged Appleton, Wisconsin.
On June 5, 2015, Davis announced he would not be playing during the 2015 season, stating he wanted time to "let his brain and body heal". He vowed a return after the break, however, claiming he wanted to return as the best right tackle in the league. On July 25, 2016, Davis filed reinstatement paperwork aiming to return to the team by the start of training camp. On July 30, Davis was officially reinstated by the league and re-joined the 49ers in time for their training camp. On September 26, 2016, Davis announced his decision to re-retire from the league.
- Rivals.com offensive guards 2007, January 24, 2007
- "Rivals.Com Ranking". High School Rankings. Rivals.Com. Retrieved 23 March 2011.
- AON Insurance/FWAA Freshman All-America Team 2007, FWAA, January 7, 2008
- Schad, Joe (December 20, 2009), "Sources: Rutgers offensive lineman Anthony Davis to enter NFL Draft", ESPN.com
- Luicci, Tom (December 22, 2009), "Rutgers left tackle Anthony Davis announces he will enter NFL Draft", The Star-Ledger
- "49ers come to terms with first-round pick Anthony Davis". USA Today. July 30, 2010.
- "49ers' Tackle Anthony Davis Announces Retirement". BallerStatus.com. June 6, 2015.
- "Former 49ers first-round pick Anthony Davis talks comeback". USA Today. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- Sessler, Marc. "Retired RT Anthony Davis applies for reinstatement". NFL.com. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- Fucillo, David. "Anthony Davis reinstated by NFL, reporting to 49ers training camp today". NinersNation.com. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- Rosenthal, Gregg. "Niners OT Anthony Davis retires from football, again". NFL.com. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- San Francisco 49ers profile
- Career statistics and player information from NFL.com • ESPN • Pro-Football-Reference