2009 St. Petersburg Bowl
|2009 St. Petersburg Bowl|
|Presented by Beef 'O' Brady's|
St. Petersburg Bowl logo
|Date||December 19, 2009|
|Location||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|MVP||WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers|
|Favorite||Rutgers by 3|
|Referee||Matt Moore (SEC)|
|United States TV coverage|
|Announcers||Mark Jones, Bob Davie, and Rob Stone|
The 2009 St. Petersburg Bowl presented by Beef 'O' Brady's, formerly known as the St. Petersburg Bowl, was the second edition of the college football bowl game and was played at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida. The game began at 8:00 PM US EST on Saturday, December 19, 2009, was telecast on ESPN and featured the UCF of Conference USA and Rutgers of the Big East. Rutgers defeated UCF 45–24 in a game where Mohamed Sanu, the game's MVP, caught 4 passes for 97 yards and a touchdown in addition to rushing 14 times for 47 yards and two touchdowns.
The game marked the Scarlet Knights' fifth consecutive bowl appearance, and their fourth consecutive victory, after not playing in a bowl game from 1979 to 2005. Rutgers was one of nine BCS teams to win a bowl game in each of the last three seasons. This was UCF's third bowl game, the last one was in the 2007 Liberty Bowl. With the loss, Central Florida dropped to 0–3 in the postseason. The bowl game marked the first ever meeting between Rutgers and UCF, both teams being called "Knights".
Rutgers wore their home red uniforms, and UCF wore their away white uniforms.
|Rutgers - Mohamed Sanu 5 Yd Run (San San Te Kick), 8:37||Rutgers 7–0|
|UCF - Kamar Aiken 7 Yd Pass From Brett Hodges (Nick Cattoi Kick), 4:31||Tie 7–7|
|Rutgers - Tim Brown 65 Yd Pass From Tom Savage (San San Te Kick), 3:54||Rutgers 14–7|
|UCF - Nick Cattoi 25 Yd FG, 14:56||Rutgers 14–10|
|Rutgers - Mohamed Sanu 1 Yd Run (San San Te Kick), 5:50||Rutgers 21–10|
|UCF - Kamar Aiken 34 Yd Pass From Brett Hodges (Nick Cattoi Kick), 2:32||Rutgers 21–17|
|Rutgers - Billy Anderson 19 Yd Interception Return (San San Te Kick), 1:38||Rutgers 28–17|
|Rutgers - Mohamed Sanu 11 Yd Pass From Tom Savage (San San Te Kick), 12:37||Rutgers 35–17|
|Rutgers - San San Te 43 Yd, 8:09||Rutgers 38–17|
|UCF - Jonathan Davis 2 Yd Run (Nick Cattoi Kick), 2:23||Rutgers 38–24|
|Rutgers - Damaso Munoz 35 Yd Kickoff Return (San San Te Kick), 2:16||Rutgers 45–24|
- "UCF Knights vs. Rutgers Scarlet Knights Preview, December 19, 2009 - NCAA College Football - ESPN". ESPN. Archived from the original on 21 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "Rutgers tops UCF to win St. Petersburg Bowl". myCentralJersey.com. Retrieved 20 December 2009.
- "Beef 'O' Brady's Signs on as Title Sponsor of St. Petersburg Bowl". St. Petersburg Bowl. Archived from the original on 14 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- "UCF Knights Accepts St. Petersburg Bowl Bid". University of Central Florida. Archived from the original on 4 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-01.
- "Rutgers heading to St. Petersburg Bowl". Scout.com. Retrieved 2009-12-06.