1960 American Football League draft
November 22, 1959 &|
December 2, 1959
The 1960 American Football League draft was held on November 22, 1959, in Minneapolis, shortly after the organization of the league, and lasted 33 rounds. An additional draft of 20 rounds was held by the AFL on December 2.
The first territorial or "bonus" picks for each team were:
- Boston Patriots ~ Gerhard Schwedes, HB, Syracuse
- Buffalo Bills ~ Richie Lucas, QB, Penn State
- Dallas Texans ~ Don Meredith, QB, SMU
- Denver Broncos ~ Roger LeClerc, C, Trinity
- Houston Oilers ~ Billy Cannon, HB, LSU
- Los Angeles Chargers ~ Monty Stickles, E, Notre Dame
- New York Titans ~ George Izo, QB, Notre Dame
- Minneapolis AFL team 1 ~ Dale Hackbart, QB, Wisconsin
|Boston Patriots||Buffalo Bills|
|Dallas Texans||Denver Broncos|
|Houston Oilers||Los Angeles Chargers|
|New York Titans||Minneapolis dropped out. Oakland Raiders assumed the draftees.|
For the allocation draft, the other seven AFL teams each froze eleven players, and Oakland selected a total of 24 players from the ranks of the other teams' "unfrozen" lists. The number of players originally drafted for the eighth AFL franchise, but who were signed by other teams, combined with the process of the allocation draft, virtually guaranteed that the Raiders would have the worst team in the AFL in its first year. In spite of this, they managed to sign future stars Jim Otto and Wayne Hawkins, two men who played the entire ten years of the American Football League.
Future Hall of Famers Selected by AFL Teams
- Jim Otto 1, Center, Miami Hurricanes football – Taken as a "First Selection" by the AFL's Minnesota franchise and retained by the Oakland Raiders. Inducted in 1979.
- Ron Mix 1, Offensive Tackle, USC – Taken as a "First Selection" by the AFL's Boston Patriots. Inducted in 1980.
Other Notable Players Selected by AFL Teams
- Tom Day, Defensive End – Buffalo Bills, "Second Selection", North Carolina A&T
- Larry Grantham, Linebacker – New York Titans, "First Selection", Mississippi
- Abner Haynes 2, Halfback – Dallas Texans, "First Selection", North Texas State
- Johnny Robinson 1, Defensive back – Dallas Texans, "First Selection", LSU
- 1 Member of the American Football League All-Time Team.
- 2 1960 AFL Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player.
Notable undrafted players
|†||= Pro Bowler|
- List of American Football League players
- History of American Football League draft
- List of professional American football drafts
- "American grid loop sets draft". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. November 20, 1959. p. 4, part 2.
- "American Football League drafts 88 players". Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Florida. Associated Press. November 24, 1959. p. 13.