See also:

FSFE leaked resignation of Armijn Hemel

Re: Dmitry Bogatov arrested in Moscow

On 04/12/2017 03:51 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
> Hi Zlatan,
>
> You and Martin both have good points.  But another way to look at this
> is - whatever our individual political opinions - I think we don't want
> Debian to be perceived as a threat to Russian internal affairs, for the
> sake of other DDs there.
>
> Regards,
I am not saying we should issue an statement as Project (something that
maybe world considers official) as we are also afterall used by many
organization but on other hand nothing is stopping to flag Debian
Developer or Debian Project as threat to any government so lets exercise
that bit: what if that would happen, how would we react to it? We
certainly produce OS that is probably very actively used as Tor nodes or
as a tool to stay secure from government spying or as I tool to learn
how networking works and can be used for wide range of things. So how
would we deal with that situation? Would we abandon our Project? Modify
things we do? Change our philosophy?

Our member lost freedom here for unknown (but I'll assume shady) cause -
I really do think we should care and help as much "unofficially" as we
can and only consider in name of Project if things really come to that
and can help.

Bunny said a good thing on last CCC gathering - we can't say RTFM to our
users, as our users have voting rights in democracy and if they don't
understand what we do they will unknowingly vote against us (or what
politicians tell to them). So also in this case we can't be blind to
this - today it is Dmitry for maybe having Tor node tomorrow maybe you
and me. In world were freedom is getting slashed by governments those
who create it will be seen as enemies.