See also:

Pranav Jain brought his brother into Google Summer of Code and Debian promoted him

Re: Dmitry Bogatov arrested in Moscow

Hello Dmitry,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2017 14:26:23 +0300
Dmitry Shachnev <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 01:09:06PM +0200, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> > > Has anyone been in touch with his lawyer(s)? It would be
> > > worthwhile to know what they think could be useful from Debian. A
> > > public support statement could give wider media exposure, maybe
> > > some international pressure. But we shouldn't do this without an
> > > agreement from Dmitry and his legal counsel. It depends on their
> > > defense strategy.
> > >
> > > Also I assume legal costs are as important in Russia as anywhere
> > > else. Could Debian show solidarity with one of his own and help
> > > to pay some of the costs?
> >
> > Most likely his case will be picked up by FBK
> > https://fbk.info/english/about/
>
> Why do you think so? They only promised to support people who were
> arrested during March 26th demostrations (which were organized by
> Navalny, unlike the April 2nd actions).
Agree. It wont looks like the case for FBK.
They only promised to help people with appeal on civil cases related to
Human Rights violations during protests/demonstrations, not for criminal
ones.

> > They are unwilling to accept donations from non-Russian citizens
> > due to clampdown on funding sources' of non-commercial
> > organisations in the wake of protests of 2011-2012.
>
> That does not mean one cannot donate to his lawyers or family
> directly.
Last five years there are many limits appears for donations from outside
of RF. You know, someone can use this as "hey, he pays US State
Department's money for lawyer". So you should be careful in your
kindness. =(

--
Best regards,
 Alexander Gerasiov

 Contacts:
 e-mail: [email protected]  Homepage: http://gerasiov.net  Skype: gerasiov
 PGP fingerprint: 04B5 9D90 DF7C C2AB CD49  BAEA CA87 E9E8 2AAC 33F1