See also:

FSFE leaked resignation of Armijn Hemel

Re: Dmitry Bogatov arrested in Moscow

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 05:44:05PM +0300, Dmitry Shachnev wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 02:40:30PM +0300, Alexander Gerasiov wrote:
> > First of all, looks like the problem really is in the Tor exit-node:
> > https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/2402CD5A0D848D1DCA61EB708CC1FBD4364AB8AE
> >
> > Is was last seen online right before the arrest and apartment search.
>
> Oh, this is a quite important fact. Thanks for the link!

I don't think this is related.  It probably goes the other way: a computer
that's seized and turned off obviously stops serving requests, be they a Tor
node or a kitten blog.

Unlike most countries, Russian goons are actually competent, and there's no
way they'd give such penalties for merely running an exit node -- they might
use it as an _excuse_ but not as the real reason.  Any law is good when you
want to make an example out of someone.

And with so many facing such punishments for daring to speak unfavouringly
about the Great Leader, it's not surprise that someone from our kind was
among the victims.

You're used to government at least following the colour of law, but that's
not the case in Russia.  When they want to send a message, they don't do
"subtle".  Vote rigging?  In civilized countries, there's big brouchacha
upon allegations of a hundred fraudulent votes; then there's Chechnya with
99.5% voting for One Russia with 99.4% turnout, after two fresh wars and a
still simmering conflict -- think of the US south voting for Lincoln had he
stood in 1868 election.  Or, troops invading Crimea and Ukraine using their
uniforms with just no insignia and "military surplus" tanks.  Or, killing a
dissident with polonium when a car accident or knifing during robbery would
be plausible, while their heart attack poison is said to be undetectable.

I believe the only "crime" Dmitry did was wagging his tongue.

--
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁