Touch the Sky (Kanye West song)
|"Touch the Sky"|
|Single by Kanye West featuring Lupe Fiasco|
|from the album Late Registration|
|Released||March 7, 2006|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Label||Roc-A-Fella, Def Jam|
|Writer(s)||Kanye West, Justin Smith, Wasalu Muhammad Jaco, Curtis Mayfield|
|Kanye West singles chronology|
"Touch the Sky" is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West. It was released in early 2006 as the fourth single from his second album, Late Registration. The song features American rapper Lupe Fiasco on his career debut and was produced by Just Blaze, standing as the only song on the album not to feature production by West. Blaze uses a slowed down horn sample from the Curtis Mayfield song "Move On Up."
The music video for "Touch the Sky" was directed by Chris Milk and filmed as a '70s style short movie about daredevil Evel Kanyevel (played by Kanye West) and his attempt to fly a small rocket across the Grand Canyon. It is done in homage to Evel Knievel's unsuccessful jump across the Snake River Canyon in 1974.
The video features Pamela Anderson, Nia Long, Tracee Ellis Ross, and the Booker T. Washington High School Marching Band of Houston, Texas, which performs with Lupe Fiasco at a pep rally. The production cost for the music video was approximately $1 million, which is the 25th most expensive music video of all time.
In December 2006, Evel Knievel filed a lawsuit against Kanye West for trademark infringement. Specifically, Knievel's lawsuit cites the similarities between West's star-adorned, blue and white costume in the video and the costume in which the stuntman wore when attempting his 1974 Snake River Canyon jump. West's attorneys argued that the music video amounted to satire and therefore was covered under the First Amendment. Just days before his death in November 2007, Knievel amicably settled the suit after being paid a visit from West, saying, "I thought he was a wonderful guy and quite a gentleman."
Remix and cover
|European Hot 100||24|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||15|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||97|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||16|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||7|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Billboard Pop 100||41|
|US Billboard Mainstream Top 40||35|
|US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||23|
|US Billboard Hot Rap Singles||10|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Songwriters: Kanye West, Wasalu Jaco, Justin Smith, Curtis Mayfield
- Producer: Just Blaze
- Recorders: Anthony Kilhoffer, Andrew Dawson
- Mix engineer: Mike Dean
- Assistant engineers: Richard Reitz, Matt Green, Nate Connelly, Mike Mo
- Montgomery, James (2007-01-18). "Fall Out Boy Hope To Rush Kanye Remix Onto Upcoming Album". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- Evel Knievel Sues Kanye West | The Smoking Gun
- "Evel Knievel, Kanye West settle lawsuit". USA Today. Gannett Co. Inc. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2007-11-27.
- "Australian-charts.com – Kanye West – Touch the Sky". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Kanye West and Lupe Fiasco - Touch the Sky". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2007-08-03.
- "Kanye West: Touch the Sky" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland.
- "Musicline.de – Kanye West Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kanye West – Touch the Sky". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: March 12, 2006". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved June 29, 2015.
- "Kanye West: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2015 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved February 03, 2016. Check date values in:
- "British single certifications – Kanye West – Touch The Sky". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved August 19, 2015. Enter Touch The Sky in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Kanye West – Touch The Sky". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Late Registration (Media notes). Kanye West. Roc-A-Fella Records. 2005.