This Changes Everything
|Subject||Climate change, economics|
|Publisher||Simon & Schuster|
|Preceded by||The Shock Doctrine|
This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate is Naomi Klein's fourth book; it was published in 2014 by Simon & Schuster. In it, Klein argues that the climate crisis cannot be addressed in the current era of neoliberal market fundamentalism, which encourages profligate consumption and has resulted in mega-mergers and trade agreements hostile to the health of the environment.
In The New York Times Book Review, Rob Nixon wrote that This Changes Everything was "the most momentous and contentious environmental book since Silent Spring." It was also included on their list of 100 notable books for 2014.
In Monthly Review, Professors John Bellamy Foster and Brett Clark provided detailed counter-arguments in response to what they term are the "liberal critics" of the book. They also praised the book, writing:
Klein, who in No Logo ushered in a new generational critique of commodity culture, and who in The Shock Doctrine established herself as perhaps the most prominent North American critic of neoliberal disaster capitalism, signals that she has now, in William Morris's famous metaphor, crossed "the river of fire" to become a critic of capitalism. The reason is climate change, including the fact that we have waited too long to address it, and the reality that nothing short of an ecological revolution will now do the job.
Michael Signer wrote in The Daily Beast: "Klein's book promises to change everything. But for anyone who believes in capitalism and political leadership, her book won't change anything at all."
Notes and references
- "This Changes Everything". This Changes Everything. Penguin Books. Retrieved 11 September 2014.
- Rob Nixon (6 November 2014). Naomi Klein’s ‘This Changes Everything’. The New York Times. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "TIFF: Climate Crisis Doc 'This Changes Everything' Gets October Release". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- "Naomi Klein wins 2014 Hilary Weston Prize". CBC Books, 14 October 2014.
- "Shaughnessy Cohen Prize finalists announced". The Globe and Mail, 27 January 2015.
- 100 Notable Books of 2014. The New York Times, 2 December 2014. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- Crossing the River of Fire - The Liberal Attack on Naomi Klein and This Changes Everything, published in Monthly Review, 2015, volume 66, number 9 (February).
- Signer, Michael (17 November 2014). "Naomi Klein's 'This Changes Everything' Will Change Nothing". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 28 July 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: This Changes Everything|