An extension of the middle class and upper middle class Summit Avenue residential neighborhood on the other side of Onondaga Park and Hiawatha Lake, Strathmore was marketed as "an exclusive residential district" when it officially opened on September 27, 1919. It attracted solidly middle class and upper middle class residents into various enclaves such as Robineau Road. The original advertisement flyer proclaimed "There can be no cheap homes in Strathmore by the Park", referring to Onondaga Park. Strathmore was zoned strictly residential, allowing for only single-family homes with a garage. It also contains many rental properties in the "less greater" section past Summit Ave and many vacant properties and rentals in disrepair. IT is largely ignored by City services.
Today, the neighborhood remains desirable and attracts a diverse, solidly middle and upper middle class population of white collar, academic, and creative class professionals. Strathmore is characterized by its Garden City town planning principles, bucolic tree-lined streets, and residential architecture of well-built Colonial Revival, Georgian, Federal, Norman French, Tudor, and Arts and Crafts style homes. During the annual Strathmore House Tour, five renovated houses are open to the public. In 1987, Onondaga Park became an official Syracuse Historic Preservation District.
- Clark House, 105 Strathmore Drive
- Dunfee House, 206 Summit Avenue
- Fairchild House, 111 Clairmont Ave
- Hunziker House, 265 Robineau Road
- Porter House, 106 Strathmore Drive
- Sanford House, 211 Summit Ave
- Stowell House, 225 Robineau Road
- White House, 176 Robineau Road
Other listings on the National Register of Historic Places are the Huntley Apartments, Onondaga Highlands-Swaneola Heights Historic District, Onondaga Park, and Strathmore "By the Park" Subdivision.