Saint Louis University Museum of Art
|Saint Louis University Museum of Art|
|Location||Central West End, St. Louis Missouri|
|Coordinates||38°38′19.19″N 90°14′2.82″W / 38.6386639°N 90.2341167°WCoordinates: 38°38′19.19″N 90°14′2.82″W / 38.6386639°N 90.2341167°W|
|Built for||St. Louis Club|
Location of Saint Louis University Museum of Art in Missouri
Constructed in 1899, the four story Beaux Arts building originally served as the home of the St. Louis Club. The principal architect of the building is Arthur Dillon of the New York firm Friedlander who included a bowling alley and swimming pool in the basement.
After a fire in 1925, the F. W. Woolworth Company bought the building and converted it into offices which served as the regional headquarters for the company. Saint Louis University purchased the building from Woolworth and used it for classrooms until they converted it to a museum in 1998. It is a designated historic landmark.
- Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis, another art museum in the neighborhood
- Delaware History Museum, another museum in a converted Woolworth's building