Robert L. Freedman
Robert L. Freedman (born July 27, 1957) is an American screenwriter and dramatist. He is best known for his teleplays for Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997) and Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001), and for his Tony-winning book and lyrics of A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (2014).
Early life and education
Freedman attended Los Alamitos High School, where he was the editor of the school’s newspaper. That’s where he met another influential figure in his life; a journalism teacher named Margaret Hall.
Freedman won the 1994 Writers Guild of America, "Television: children's" award for his script for the TV movie A Deadly Secret: The Robert Bierer Story (1993). He is the screenwriter for the TV movie Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997), and received a nomination for the Writers Guild of America, "Television: children's".
Freedman is the screenwriter and producer of the television movie Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows, which was televised on ABC in 2001. The movie, about the early life of Judy Garland, was based on the book Me and My Shadows: A Family Memoir by Lorna Luft. Among other awards, Freedman was nominated by the Writers Guild of America, "Adapted Long Form". He was also nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing For a Miniseries or a Movie, a Co-Nominee for the 2001 Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries.
He wrote the book for the stage musical Grand Duchy, with music by John Bayless, which had staged readings at Playwrights Horizons and the Paper Mill Playhouse and premiered in Santa Barbara, California in 2003. A second performance, also in Santa Barbara, is expected spring of 2016.
He wrote the book to a musical titled Campaign of the Century, with lyrics by Freedman and Steven Lutvak and music by Lutvak. It is based on the book by Greg Mitchell, and is about the smear campaign against author Upton Sinclair. It had staged readings at the Chicago Humanities Festival in 2004, the New York Music Festival in September 2005, and the Beverly Hills Theatre Guild in 2006.
Freedman wrote the book and lyrics to a musical version of Kind Hearts and Coronets, with music and lyrics by Steven Lutvak, directed by Ron Lagomarsino, which was presented at the Sundance Institute Theatre Laboratory, Utah, in July 2006. The musical had a staged reading in the Breaking Ground Series at the Huntington Theatre in Boston in April 2006.
He co-wrote a one-man play with Faye Greenberg titled The Beast of Broadway, which had its premiere in 2010 at TheatreZone, Naples, Florida. The play is based in part on the book The Abominable Showman by Howard Kissell, about the producer David Merrick.
A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, co-written with Steven Lutvak and based on the 1907 novel Israel Rank by Roy Horniman, premiered in October 2012 at Hartford Stage in Hartford, Connecticut. The production, directed by Darko Tresnjak, transferred to the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego, California in March 2013, and then opened on Broadway in 2014. Freedman won the Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical for this musical.
Sources: The New York Times filmreference.com
- The Royal Romance of Charles and Diana (1982)
- Broadway Sings: The Music of Jule Styne (1987)
- Taken Away (1989)
- Locked Up: A Mother's Rage (1991)
- Woman With A Past (1992)
- A Deadly Secret: The Robert Bierer Story (1992)
- Honor Thy Mother (1992)
- In the Best of Families: Marriage, Pride & Madness (1994)
- What Love Sees (1996)
- Mrs. Santa Claus (1997)
- Unlikely Angel (1997)
- Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella (1997)
- Long Way Home (1998)
- What Makes a Family (2001)
- Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001)
- Murder in the Hamptons (2005)
- The Pastor's Wife (2011)
- Grand Duchy (with John Bayless)
- Campaign of the Century (with Steven Lutvak)
- The Beast of Broadway: The Life and Times of David Merrick (with Faye Greenberg) (2010)
- A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder (with Steven Lutvak)
- Camp Rock: The Musical (with Faye Greenberg)
Honors and awards
|1983, 1984||Winner, ASCAP Popular Award for Musical Theatre||Grand Duchy|
|1992||Nominee, Edgar Award (Mystery Writers of America)||Honor Thy Mother|
|1994||Winner, Writers Guild Award (Outstanding Television Children's Show)||A Deadly Secret: The Robert Bierer Story|
|1996||Silver Plaque, Chicago International Television Festival||What Love Sees|
|1999||Nominee, Writers Guild Award (Outstanding Children's Script)||Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella|
|2001||Finalist, Humanitas Prize||What Makes a Family|
|2001||Winner, GLAAD Award (Best TV Film)||What Makes a Family|
|2001||Nominee, Emmy Award (Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries or Movie)||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2001||Nominee, Emmy Award (Outstanding Miniseries)||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2001||Winner, Television Critics Association Award||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2001||Winner, Broadcast Critics Association Award||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2001||Winner, Golden Satellite Award (Best TV Movie or Miniseries)||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2001||Nominee, Golden Globe Award (Best TV Movie or Miniseries)||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2002||Nominee, Writers Guild Award||Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows|
|2006||Winner, California Musical Theatre Award||Campaign of the Century|
|2006||Winner, Edward Kleban Award (with Steven Lutvak)|
|2006||Winner, Fred Ebb Award (with Steven Lutvak)|
|2014||Winner, Tony Award for Best Book of a Musical||A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder|
- "Schools of the Stars: Where the 2014 Tony Nominees Went to College – The Writers" playbill.com, April 29, 2014
- " A Deadly Secret: The Robert Bierer Story " tcm.com, accessed June 11, 2014
- "Freedman List" wgfoundation.org, accessed June 11, 2014
- " 'Me and My Shadows' " allmovie.com, accessed June 10, 2014
- "54th Annual Writers Guild Awards Television and Radio Nominees Announced, News Release, January 15, 2002" wga.org, January 15, 2002, accessed June 11, 2014
- " Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows Awards" The New York Times, accessed June 11, 2014
- Jones, Kenneth.Holzman, Freedman, Hubbard, Needleman and Lutvak Win 2006 Kleban Awards" playbill.com, May 1, 2006
- " 'Campaign of the Century' Listing" theatermania.com, accessed June 10, 2014
- Jones, Kenneth."Playwrights Grimm, Lutvak, Freedman, Gibson, Kornbluth, Belber, Adjmi, Gardley Climb to Sundance" playbill.com, July 10, 2006
- " 'The Beast of Broadway' World Premiere" theatrezone-florida.com, accessed June 10, 2014
- Silk, Chris. Review: Garrison tames 'Beast of Broadway' Merrick at TheatreZone" marconews.com, March 5, 2010
- Purcell, Carey." 'Gent's Guide', 'All The Way', 'Hedwig And the Angry Inch', 'Raisin in the Sun' Win Top Prizes at 68th Annual Tony Awards" playbill.com, June 8, 2014
- "Robert L Freedman filmography" New York Times, accessed June 10, 2014
- "Robert L. Freedman Biography" filmreference.com, accessed June 11, 2014
- " 'Camp Rock'" mtishows.com, accessed June 10, 2014
- Kalafatas, Greg. "PHOTO CALL: Start Spreading the News, the 2nd Annual Fred Ebb Award is Handed Out" playbill.com, November 29, 2006