Love Will Save the Day
|"Love Will Save the Day"|
|Single by Whitney Houston|
|from the album Whitney|
|Released||July 5, 1988|
|Writer(s)||Toni C. (Toni Colandreo)|
|Producer(s)||John "Jellybean" Benitez|
|Whitney Houston singles chronology|
"Love Will Save the Day" is a song recorded by American singer-songwriter Whitney Houston from her second multi-platinum studio album Whitney (1987). The single was released in July 1988 by Arista Records. "Love Will Save the Day" is the fastest-tempoed song on the album Whitney. Written by Toni C, produced by John "Jellybean" Benitez and featuring Roy Ayers, it is one of the uptempo numbers on the album that also includes "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" and "So Emotional."
Los Angeles Times editor Robert Hilburn described the song as a "hollow dance track that tries to mix social comment with dance-floor vigor." Rolling Stone's Vince Alleti wrote: "Jellybean clicks neatly with "Love Will Save the Day," the only song to even remotely acknowledge the problems of the world at large and the most vivaciously percussive track on the record." Whitney fanpage described this song as Latin influenced, sparkling song. St. Petersburg Times editors Eric Snider and Annelise Wamsley described Love Will Save the Day: "a unique tune on an extremely mainstream album. Its lively Afro-Cuban flavor, driven by a wall of clattering percussion, is truly joyous."
At this time, Whitney Houston had achieved a record-breaking string of seven number-one hits, with four of those #1's from her current album "Whitney". "Love Will Save the Day" did not become Houston's eighth consecutive number one, but continued her trend of hit singles by peaking in the US Top 10. The #9 peak on the Hot 100 was Houston's lowest solo peak up to this time. The song also made the Top 10 without an accompanying music video.
Houston had stronger performances on the charts prior to this song but it did remain in the top 40 for 11 weeks, and reached #5 on the R&B Chart, and #1 on the Hot Club/Dance Play Tracks.
Internationally, the song mostly saw less success except in the Netherlands where it reached number 6 and the United Kingdom, where it peaked at #10 and Switzerland, where it went Top 20. It was a moderate hit in Germany, making 37; and was a minor hit in Australia, peaking at 84.
After her sudden death, Entertainment Weekly would rank the song #20 on its list Whitney Houston: Her 25 Best Songs and stated: "Though the single broke her streak of consecutive No. 1's, the Miami bass and spicy horns on this high-BPM dance-pop workout pointed to Houston's willingness to experiment and evolve."
Track listings and formats
- Extended remix – 6:55
- Extended club mix – 7:58
- A cappella – 5:14
- Dub Will Save the Day – 4:58
- Jellybean Mix
- The Underground Mix – 7:30
- The Underground Edit – 5:40
- Dub – 5:30
- Instrumental – 5:40
- Radio single version – 4:19
- Single version – 4:22
Chart precession and succession
"The Right Stuff" by Vanessa Williams
|Billboard Hot Dance Club Play number-one single
August 20, 1988
| Succeeded by|
"Say It's Gonna Rain" by Will to Power
- Album Review : Houston: Commercial Sparkle, Artistic Fizz - Los Angeles Times
- Whitney | Album Reviews | Rolling Stone
- Whitney pulls out another bag of hits Series: RECORDS
- "Whitney Houston: Her 25 best songs". Entertainment Weekly. February 17, 2012. Retrieved July 1, 2015.
- Discogs.com, Love Will Save the Day - US 7" Vinyl Single, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, Love Will Save the Day - US CD Maxi-Single Promo, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, UK 12" vinyl, Single Details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, Canada 12" vinyl, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, Germany 12" vinyl, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, Australia & New Zealand 12" vinyl, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- Discogs.com, Spain 12" vinyl, Single details - Retrieved on November 26, 2008
- "Response from ARIA re: chart inquiry, received June 17, 2014". imgur.com. Retrieved September 16, 2015.
- Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada
- "Ultratop.be – Whitney Houston – Love Will Save the Day" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Lescharts.com – Whitney Houston – Love Will Save the Day" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Single Chartverfolgung - Whitney Houston" (in German). Musicline.de. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- The Irish Charts - All there is to know
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Whitney Houston – Love Will Save the Day" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 2005). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. p. 698. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swisscharts.com – Whitney Houston – Love Will Save the Day". Swiss Singles Chart.
- WHITNEY HOUSTON | Artist | Official Charts
- "Love Will Save the Day - Whitney Houston". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved November 11, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl - Jaaroverzichten - Single 1988" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved June 2, 2011.