List of Miami Marlins no-hitters
The Miami Marlins are a Major League Baseball franchise based in Miami, Florida. Formed in 1993, they play in the National League East division. Pitchers for the Marlins have thrown five no-hitters in franchise history. A no-hitter is officially recognized by Major League Baseball only “when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings”. No-hitters of less than nine complete innings were previously recognized by the league as official; however, several rule alterations in 1991 changed the rule to its current form. A no-hitter is rare enough that one team in Major League Baseball has never had a pitcher accomplish the feat.[a] No perfect games, a special subcategory of no-hitter, have been thrown in Marlins history. As defined by Major League Baseball, “in a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.”
The umpire is also an integral part of any no-hitter. The task of the umpire in a baseball game is to make any decision “which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out… [the umpire’s judgment on such matters] is final.” Part of the duties of the umpire making calls at home plate includes defining the strike zone, which “is defined as that area over homeplate (sic) the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap.” These calls define every baseball game and are therefore integral to the completion of any no-hitter.
The manager is another integral part of any no-hitter. The tasks of the manager include determining the starting rotation as well as batting order and defensive lineup every game.
List of no-hitters in Marlins history
|¶||Indicates a perfect game|
|£||Pitcher was left-handed|
|*||Member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum|
|#||Date||Pitcher||Final score|| Base-
|1||May 11, 1996||Leiter, AlAl Leiter£||11–0||3||Colorado Rockies||Johnson, CharlesCharles Johnson (1)||Rippley, SteveSteve Rippley||Lachemann, ReneRene Lachemann||
|2||June 10, 1997||Brown, KevinKevin Brown||9–0||1||@ San Francisco Giants||Johnson, CharlesCharles Johnson (2)||Davidson, BobBob Davidson||Leyland, JimJim Leyland||
|3||May 12, 2001||Burnett, A. J.A. J. Burnett||3–0||10||@ San Diego Padres||Johnson, CharlesCharles Johnson (3)||Brinkman, JoeJoe Brinkman||Boles, JohnJohn Boles||
|4||September 6, 2006||Sánchez, AníbalAníbal Sánchez||2–0||5||Arizona Diamondbacks||Olivo, MiguelMiguel Olivo||Kellogg, JeffJeff Kellogg||Girardi, JoeJoe Girardi||
|5||September 29, 2013||Álvarez, HendersonHenderson Álvarez||1–0||3||Detroit Tigers||Hill, KoyieKoyie Hill||Kulpa, RonRon Kulpa||Redmond, MikeMike Redmond||
- "Florida Marlins Franchise History". ESPN. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "MLB Miscellany: Rules, regulations and statistics". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- Kurkjian, Tim (June 29, 2008). "No-hit win makes no sense, except in baseball". ESPN. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "Florida Marlins". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "Umpires: Rules of Interest". MLB.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- Bronson, Eric. Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box, Pgs 98–99. ISBN 0-8126-9556-9. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "May 11, 1996 Colorado Rockies at Florida Marlins Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "June 10, 1997 Florida Marlins at San Francisco Giants Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "May 12, 2001 Florida Marlins at San Diego Padres Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "September 6, 2006 Arizona Diamondbacks at Florida Marlins Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved February 11, 2011.
- "September 29, 2013 Detroit Tigers at Miami Marlins Play by Play and Box Score". Baseball-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "No Hitters Chronologically". Retrosheet.org. Retrosheet, Inc. Retrieved February 11, 2011.