José Ramírez (pitcher)
|Atlanta Braves – No. 40|
Born: January 21, 1990|
Yaguate, San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic
|June 4, 2014, for the New York Yankees|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.36|
José Altagracia Ramírez (born January 21, 1990) is a Dominican professional baseball pitcher for the Atlanta Braves of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played for the New York Yankees and Seattle Mariners.
New York Yankees
Ramírez signed with the New York Yankees as an amateur free agent in 2007. Pitching for the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League in 2012, Ramírez had a 3.19 earned run average in 98 2⁄3 innings pitched. The Yankees added him to their 40-man roster on November 20, in order to protect him from being eligible in the upcoming Rule 5 Draft.
At the end of spring training the following year, the Yankees assigned Ramírez to the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League. In 2013, Ramirez pitched for Trenton and the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders of the Class AAA International League. He missed playing time due to an injury that was thought to be an oblique injury.
At the close of spring training in 2014, the Yankees decided to transition Ramírez from a starting pitcher to a relief pitcher as a result of injuries suffered earlier in his career. The Yankees promoted Ramírez to the major leagues on May 18 as the 26th man on their roster for a doubleheader, but he did not pitch and was optioned back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre after the games. The Yankees promoted Ramírez again on June 4. He debuted against the Oakland Athletics that day by pitching two innings, yielding two hits and one run. After being sent down, he would be called up again on June 13.
After the 2015 season, the Mariners traded Ramírez to the Atlanta Braves for a player to be named later, which eventually became relief pitcher Ryne Harper. He was designated for assignment on April 11, 2016. He was assigned to the AAA Gwinnett Braves three days later, and, on June 30, he, Rob Wooten and Matt Marksberry pitched a combined no-hitter. He was recalled on July 28.
On September 14, 2016, Ramírez was ejected for the first time in his Major League career for throwing a pitch over the head of Jose Fernandez. Two days later, the MLB Disciplinary Committee suspended Ramírez three games. He dropped an appeal of the decision and began serving the suspension on September 21.
- Derespina, Cody (January 6, 2016). "Yankees: Top 23 pitching prospects". Newsday. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- "Yankees prospect Jose Ramirez impresses during spring training". NJ.com. March 15, 2013. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Yankees claim RHP Mickey Storey off waivers". MLB.com. November 20, 2012. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- King, George A. (March 12, 2013). "Yankees prospect Ramirez earns Mariano praise". New York Post. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Phelps focused on strikes, not his role with Yanks". MLB.com. February 27, 2014. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "Spring Training Daily: Prospects". MLB.com. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- Rumberg, Howie (May 18, 2014). "Yankees split doubleheader against Pirates". The Saratogian. Associated Press. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Martin, Dan (June 4, 2015). "Aceves cut, Caliborne optioned in Yankees shake-up". New York Post. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Castillo, Jorge (June 12, 2014). "Yankees choose to keep Jose Ramirez over Matt Daley to make room for Shawn Kelley". The Star Ledger. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- "Yankees blow 4-run lead at home, lose 7-4 to A's". Post Register. Associated Press. June 5, 2014. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Hatch, Ryan (June 13, 2015). "Yankees send down reliever Jacob Lindgren, recall Jose Ramirez from Triple-A". NJ.com. Retrieved December 5, 2015.
- Stecker, Brent (July 30, 2015). "Mariners trade OF Dustin Ackley to Yankees for prospects". 710 ESPN Seattle. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- Bowman, Mark (December 4, 2015). "Braves acquire Ramirez from Mariners". MLB.com. Retrieved December 4, 2015.
- Dutton, Bob (December 11, 2015). "Seattle Mariners add two minor-league players: Ryne Harper and Ed Lucas". The News Tribune. Retrieved April 10, 2016.
- "Braves CF Mallex Smith in leadoff spot for MLB debut". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 11, 2016. Retrieved April 12, 2016.
- Boor, William (June 30, 2016). "Gwinnett trio combines to no-hit Louisville Bats". MLB.com. Retrieved June 30, 2016.
- James, Pat (July 28, 2016). "Braves fortify 'pen; recall Ramirez, Marksberry". MLB.com. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Bowman, Mark. "Pitcher Jose Ramirez suspended 3 games for throwing over Fernandez". MLB. Retrieved September 16, 2016.
- Knobler, Danny (September 22, 2016). "Ramirez drops appeal, begins serving suspension". MLB.com. Retrieved September 22, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)