Jon Bernthal (middle) at Emerald City Comic Con 2016
Jonathan Edward Bernthal|
September 20, 1976
Washington, D.C., U.S.
Skidmore College (BA)|
Harvard University (MFA)
|Spouse(s)||Erin Angle (m. 2010)|
Jonathan Edward "Jon" Bernthal (born September 20, 1976) is an American actor best known for his television role as Shane Walsh on the AMC series The Walking Dead and film roles in The Wolf of Wall Street (2013), Fury (2014), Sicario (2015) and The Accountant (2016). He portrayed Joe Teague in Mob City, and Punisher in the Netflix series Daredevil and is set to reprise his role in the Netflix series The Punisher.
Bernthal was born and raised in Washington, D.C., the son of Joan Lurie (née Marx) and Eric Lawrence "Rick" Bernthal, a lawyer with Latham & Watkins LLP. His paternal grandfather was musician and producer Murray Bernthal. He has two brothers, Nicholas and Thomas. His family is Jewish.
After high school, Bernthal briefly studied at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs, and later attended The School of Moscow Art Theatre in Russia. During his time there, he played catcher on a semi-professional baseball team.
Bernthal was discovered by the executive director of Harvard University's Institute for Advanced Theater Training at the American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and graduated in 2002 from the American Repertory Theater with a Master of Fine Arts.
Since 2002, Bernthal has performed in over 30 plays regionally and Off-Broadway, including many with his own award-winning theatre company, Fovea Floods. He also had small guest roles in television series such as Boston Legal, CSI: Miami, and How I Met Your Mother. Bernthal booked his first regular role on a television series with the sitcom The Class, which was created by Friends co-creator David Crane. The show was cancelled after only one season. After this, he had roles in films such as World Trade Center and Day Zero.
In 2009, Bernthal had a supporting role in the Ben Stiller comedy film Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian as mobster Al Capone. The same year, he became a series regular on the television series Eastwick, which was cancelled after only one season.
In 2010, Bernthal portrayed Sgt. Manuel Rodriguez on the HBO miniseries The Pacific. Bernthal portrayed Shane Walsh in Frank Darabont's The Walking Dead, based on the comic book series of the same name. He was a regular on the show until 2012 and was nominated for the Breakout Performance – Male Award at the 2011 Scream Awards for his performance. That same year, he guest starred in an episode of NBC's legal comedy-drama series Harry's Law as Lucas Trassino. In 2013, he appeared in the crime drama film Snitch.
Bernthal reunited with Darabont for the TNT series Mob City, in which he portrayed Joe Teague, a police officer working in a corrupt 1940s Los Angeles, which was subsequently cancelled after one season. He also had supporting roles in the Martin Scorsese film The Wolf of Wall Street (2013) and the sports comedy film Grudge Match (2013). He played southerner Grady "Coon-Ass" Travis in the 2014 World War II film Fury, opposite Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Michael Peña and Logan Lerman.
Bernthal appears as a playable character in the video game Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare in a downloadable game mode "Exo Zombies". Bernthal next co-starred in Denis Villeneuve's action drama film Sicario, opposite Emily Blunt and Josh Brolin, which won numerous awards and received positive reviews from critics.
In June 2015, Marvel announced that Bernthal would portray Frank Castle / The Punisher in the second season of Netflix's superhero series Daredevil, which was released on March 18, 2016. He will then star in the Irish action thriller film Pilgrimage, alongside Tom Holland and Richard Armitage.
Bernthal married Erin Angle, the niece of professional wrestler Kurt Angle, on September 25, 2010 in Potomac, Maryland. They have two sons, Henry and Billy (born August 2011 and February 2013), and a daughter, Adeline (born February 2015). Bernthal is a cousin of Adam Schlesinger, bassist of the band Fountains of Wayne.
Together with his brother Nicholas, an orthopaedic surgeon at UCLA, Bernthal runs a nonprofit organization called Drops Fill Buckets, described as an "impact-driven, entrepreneurial approach to making a difference".
|2002||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Lane Ruddock||Episode: "Malignant"|
|2004||Without a Trace||Alex Genya||Episode: "Bait"|
|2004||Dr. Vegas||Greg||Episode: "Dead Man, Live Bet"|
|2004||Boston Legal||Michael Shea||Episode: "Questionable Characters"|
|2005||Jonny Zero||Brett Parish||Episode: "I Did It All for the Nooky"|
|2005||CSI: Miami||Harry Klugman||2 episodes|
|2005||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Sherm Hempell||Episode: "Goliath"|
|2005||How I Met Your Mother||Carlos||Episode: "Purple Giraffe"|
|2006–2007||The Class||Duncan Carmello||19 episodes|
|2009–2010||Eastwick||Raymond Gardener||12 episodes|
|2010||Numb3rs||Mike Nash||Episode: "Growin' Up"|
|2010||The Pacific||Sgt. Manuel Rodriguez||2 episodes|
|2010–2012||The Walking Dead||Shane Walsh|| Main Cast (Season 1–2)|
Special Guest Star (Season 3): 19 episodes
Nominated – Scream Award for Breakout Performance Male (2011)
|2012||Harry's Law||Lucas Trassino||Episode: "The Whole Truth"|
|2012||Robot Chicken||Hawkeye / Mayor of Des Moines (voice)||Episode: "Collateral Damage in Gang Turf War"|
|2013||Mob City||Joe Teague||6 episodes|
|2015||Show Me a Hero||Michael H. Sussman||4 episodes|
|2015||SuperMansion||Rat-A-Pult (voice)||3 episodes|
|2016||Daredevil||Frank Castle / Punisher||12 episodes|
|2017||The Punisher||Frank Castle / Punisher|
|2014||Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare||Decker|
|2011||Small Engine Repair||Terence Swaino|| Ovation Awards for Acting Ensemble of a Play|
Nominated – Ovation Awards for Lead Actor in a Play
- "Descendants of Nechah Oifman". Ancestry.com.
- "Looking Backward". Watertown Daily Times. September 20, 2009.
Today's Birthdays: ... Actor Jon Bernthal is 33.
- "Murray Bernthal dies at 99". BWW News Desk. December 11, 2010.
- "Obituary – Murray Bernthal". The Post-Standard. December 12, 2010.
- "Jon Bernthal". Hollywood Life. 2010. Retrieved December 17, 2010.
- "Michael Segal Weddings".
- Patrick, Andy (April 30, 2010). "Exclusive: Sarah Wayne Callies Joins 'Walking Dead'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 14, 2012.
- "Harry's Law Casts Jon Bernthal". TVLine. Retrieved March 3, 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 12, 2012). "CW's 'Beauty & The Beast', 'First Cut' Add To Casts; Jon Bernthal Set For TNT's 'Noir'". Deadline.com.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (June 19, 2012). "'Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal Joins 'Wolf Of Wall Street'". Deadline.com.
- "The Walking Dead's Jon Bernthal Joins Stallone And De Niro In Grudge Match". CinemaBlend.com. December 14, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2013.
- Sneider, Jeff (May 17, 2013). "'Walking Dead' Alum Jon Bernthal in Negotiations to Join Brad Pitt in David Ayer's 'Fury' (Exclusive)". TheWrap. Retrieved May 23, 2013.
- Ford, Rebecca (May 29, 2014). "'Walking Dead' Star Jon Bernthal Joins Denis Villeneuve's 'Sicario' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "'Sicario': Cannes Review". Retrieved 2016-07-22.
- Sicario, retrieved 2016-07-22
- Goldberg, Lesley (June 9, 2015). "'Walking Dead' Star to Play Marvel Favorite the Punisher on Netflix's 'Daredevil'". The Hollywood Reporter.
- ""The Walking Dead's" Jon Bernthal Goes On a 'Pilgrimage'". Bloody Disgusting.
- Webber, Stephanie (March 12, 2015). "Jon Bernthal, Former Walking Dead Star, Welcomes Daughter Adeline". Us Weekly.
- Blodgett, Lucy (January 27, 2012). "Drops Fill Buckets: Party With Jon Bernthal For Charity". The Huffington Post.
- "Drops Fill Buckets: Key Players". Drops Fill Buckets. 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jon Bernthal.|