Günter M. Ziegler
|Günter Matthias Ziegler|
Günter M. Ziegler, 2006
19 May 1963|
Munich, Bavaria, West Germany
|Institutions||Free University of Berlin|
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Anders Björner|
|Known for||work on polytopes, topological combinatorics|
|Notable awards||Chauvenet Prize (2006)|
Ziegler studied at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich from 1981 to 1984, and went on to receive his Ph.D. from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1987, under the supervision of Anders Björner. After postdoctoral positions at the University of Augsburg and the Mittag-Leffler Institute, he received his habilitation in 1992 from the Technical University of Berlin, which he joined as a professor in 1995. Ziegler has since joined the faculty of the Free University of Berlin.
Awards and honors
Ziegler was awarded one million Deutschmark Gerhard Hess Prize by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) in 1994 and the 1.5 million Deutschmark Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize, Germany's highest research honor, by the DFG in 2001. He was awarded the 2005 Gauss Lectureship by the German Mathematical Society. In 2006 the Mathematical Association of America awarded Ziegler and Florian Pfender its highest honor for mathematical exposition, the Chauvenet Prize, for their paper on kissing numbers.
In 2006 he became president for a two-year term of the German Mathematical Society. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society. In 2013 Ziegler was granted the Hector Science Award and became a member of the Hector Fellow Academy. Since July 2016 Ziegler is chair of the Berlin Mathematical School.
- Proofs from THE BOOK, Springer, Berlin, 1998, ISBN 3-540-63698-6
- Ziegler, Günter M. (1995), Lectures on Polytopes, Graduate Texts in Mathematics, 152, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Björner, Anders; Ziegler, Günter M. (1992). "8 Introduction to greedoids". In White, Neil. Matroid Applications. Encyclopedia of Mathematics and its Applications. 40. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 284–357. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511662041.009. ISBN 0-521-38165-7. MR 1165537.
- "Mathematics People" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society: 511–513, May 2001
- January 2006 prizes and awards, American Mathematical Society.
- DFG web page listing Ziegler as the Leibniz prize recipient.
- Pfender, Florian; Ziegler, Günter M. (September 2004), "Kissing numbers, sphere packings, and some unexpected proofs" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society: 873–883.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-09-01.
- Hector Science Award ceremony
- Founding ceremony of the Hector Fellow Academy
- Drösser, Christoph (September 13, 2007), "Ein etwas anderer Streber", Die Zeit. Article in German about Ziegler.
- Ziegler's homepage at the Free University.
- Günter M. Ziegler in the German National Library catalogue
- Günter M. Ziegler at the Mathematics Genealogy Project